Never again
By twilliams on
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Bought car w/only 17,000 miles-1 owner. Brakes/front needed new w/rotors @ 37,000 miles. R/brakes w/rotors @ 58,000. R/hatch takes 2-3 hits to release. Have had 4 low beam bulbs burn out! Dealer charges $$$ 2 replace. Check engine light on, thermostat eng. Temp light on yet nothing wrong at all. Interior continues to fall apart- radio presets, visor clip, hand brake knob, dash vent close knob, tilt/tele. Rubber knob loose, glove comp. Latch ready to fall apart anytime now. Will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter what model. Have a few months to pay off, then selling it before it fails me for good. I maintain my cars well & drive them easy. Worst car ever owned- period.
Favorite Features
steering on highway has great feel. brakes good too yet wear out quickly for a light car.
Suggested Improvements
I don't think building in Mexico is the problem. It's Volkswagen. poor materials, shoddy engineering, and lack of quality overall.
By johnrushing
on 03/17/11 18:25 PM (PDT)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years with no major problems, just routine stuff like struts, air filter and such. My wife has owned her's for almost 8 years and only replaced the rear pads and two headlight bulbs. I really sounds like your a little rough on the car, have you considered buying a tank?