Happy Fat Man
By Chanman on
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Our Beetle is a 2003 Convertible GLS with leather and a six-speed automatic. This past Fall my wife and I took our 2003 Beetle Convertible on an 18 day, 5000 mile excursion to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and most points in between. We packed a week's change of clothes for warm and cool weather, plus a cooler packed with drinks, food, and cameras, ect. NO PROBLEM!! I am a big, big man, pushing 400lbs. Yet we were both very comfortable and the car performed without flaw. Let me tell you...there is nothing like the Rockies in a rag-top!!
Favorite Features
After having several other smaller rag- tops, like a Miata, we appreciate the automatic convertible top which is fast, easy and with no leaks! We also like the heated leather seats and the new six-speed automatic which gives the car more "pep" than the auto it replaces.
Suggested Improvements
The automatic top sequence initiates the lowering of the power windows a inch or so before the top lifts. The windows have required dealer adjustments several times. The automatic transmission seems uncertain when it shifts from first to second, especially when cold.