2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Coil Packs, Coil Packs, Coil P

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Coil Packs, Coil Packs, Coil Packs.
By Dozier450 on

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this 2003 Beetle with 39k on 12-31-08 for daughter. I've had to replace three coil packs, the 4th was already replaced when the car was purchased. VW had a problem with issue, but told me this car was not covered under the recall back during 2003. I was also told that I could take this car to the dealer and pay $100.00 to get the codes read and if I keep the receipts and if they ever do recall this issue, then I could send in for a refund. I decided to use the $100.00 code fee and purchase new coil packs. I did buy a code scanner off of eBay for less than $30.00, it reads and clears the Check Engine Light after you make the repair. This car has the 1.8T engine.

Looks good, handles great when running like it's supposed to.

Replace all 4 coils when the first one goes out. They cost $44.77 each at the dealer and can be purchased online for about $25.00 each, if you can wait a couple of days for the shipping. By the way, did I tell you that this car only has 39K on it.