Best Little Mouse that roared...
By nicastepper on
2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Ok, first my bias. I have loved these things ever since Herbie hit the screen well, way back when... That said, when I purchased this car, I was looking for two things: a car that would handle well and have some power without too much cost in mileage estimates and a car that would be extremely comfortable for someone that has a hard time finding that in any car. The Beetle met both of my requirements and continues to do so after 5000 miles of 100 mile per day driving. I have seen several stories of people having quality problems with this vehicle but I have yet to see that in mine.
Favorite Features
Comfort. The heated leather rally seats are a real find and very well done. Power. Having moved into this vehicle from a Ford Focus, I now feel like I am going to survive those highway on ramp experiences.
Suggested Improvements
Yes, the spoiler could be a little quieter but at least it doesn't deploy until 50 mph and it doesn't drop back down until well under 10 mph. There is also a manual override for it. I like the headrests and I think the new solid ones are much less aesthetic.