Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Hate It
By Dont buy a bug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than I had with my prior car that I had for 7 years. I have had the dashboard replaced twice, the stereo replaced 4 times, the keys replaced once. Also 2x in the last year the car didnt start, for no reason. Then when it did it, the entire dashboard was lit up, hence the 2x replacing the dashboard.

Favorite Features

Its cute outside.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE RELIABILITY

My Volks
By teresa owens

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my new Beetle The dealership also goes out of their way to make you happy. Seems that Volkswagon treats their customers different. Hubby and I have dealt with Chevorlet,Ford and Nisson Volkswagon has better customer service

Favorite Features

Love my sunroof. Love how the car handles easy to drive even in this Atlanta traffic also like the fact I have four airbags

Suggested Improvements

You can fold the seats down in the back but the front seats have to be pushed up too far to fold it flat. My family is too tall for that lol

2003 GLX Turbo Automatic
By Cutebug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Love my car. Cutest thing on the road. Turbo gives the car a lot of pep. Smooth ride on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Looks are great, interior dash lights are awesome, love the rain sensor wipers

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise with the moonroof open. Disappointed with the gas mileage for a small car. Heated seats only work on the highest setting.

LEMON
By zozo

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had my car 4 days and I had to take it back (Car was brand new, it had 3 miles when I picked it up) Anyway the dealership ended up making my 1st car payment because they had it a month. The car had to have it's breaks replaced and the sensor panel replaced (IN A BRAND NEW CAR), and the window kept coming off track and the car was taken back 4 more times due to the breaks.

Favorite Features

I like the stereo, heated seats, and my sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Take more time in making them so the quality will be higher, but it doesn't really matter since they are no longer making Beetles.

Beetle Review
By PilotRicky

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive. Still gets smiles. Two airbags replaced already. One time check engine light kept coming on...was some module problem. Front turn signals have repeatedly messed up, (started blinking way too fast), dealer has never resolved the problem. Well built car, lots of fun. Needs the VR6 engine and all wheel drive to make it what I really want.

Favorite Features

two way power sun roof, heated leather seats, heated mirrors and windshield squirters, STYLING! fit and finish are very good, and the handling is great..a joy to drive. Also, the fold down and fully removeable rear seat..gives it lots of room for our camping equipment.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical bugs that keep popping up. FOUR WHEEL DRIVE (AWD), more power! (VR6 engine). more color choices...but...especially give this thing ALL WHEEL DRIVE!