2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Love My Turbo S
By bren on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The 6-speed manual and 180 hp make this so much fun to drive. I also get many looks and good comments about it. The car's "get up and go" is great. I love how this car is unique to all the other New Beetles. The two tone leather interior is awesome. Some may gripe about the back seat being too small. All I have to say is that this car is not a "family car", it is a car to have fun in! This car has made me nothing but happy since the day I bought it.

Don't be Fooled by the Hype
By Jeff A. on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The heated seats don't work like they have in the past. Dealer insists there is a temperature sensor in the seats to determine how hot the seat should be. Even with the air-conditioning on in freezing temperatures, the '5' setting does not work at all. Not impressed with the fuel economy in the cold months. Averaging 21-22 mpg in the city. Power windows have a tendancy to roll back down after you've rolled them up. Sluggish start after sitting overnight. There is a wind vibration inside the car if the sunroof is open and traveling less than 20 mph. Very annoying.

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent
By grbonzo on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I have ever owned(my 10th). My first German car and loving it. It has plenty of room inside for my 6 foot frame and plenty more to spare. Have never had any problems, gas milage is great. Comes with features you can only find in Cadillacs, love the design, love the comfort. Excellent car!

Great Design, Bad Quality
By SkipG on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car looks great - inside and out, but it feels cheap. After 7k the window broke (supposedly fixed in this model year). After 10k the dash board started rattling. In General, the car does not handle or perform well. I long for my old celica.

great car
By beetletest on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car. Great to drive on highway. Good value. Very good guality. Would buy again.

good
By joan clark on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the only thing i do not like is the noise from the sun roof

Away we go
By Andi R on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Rides beautifully, fast as a bullet, very roomy inside

Makes me smile
By mobigman on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the only car i've ever owned that just brings a smile to my face each time I drive it. I'm a large person, and I REALLY APPRECIATE the interior room. I love the design and the sportiness.

Still a new classic
By schumar on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Some people think that the popularity of the new beetle is waning and with the rise of the mini cooper, it will cease to exist. I hope they're wrong.. the styling is wonderful inside and out, the safety features and ease of use are terrific, and it is stable and fun to drive.

Fun car to drive
By TurkZero! on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car has exceptional ride and handeling for a vehicle of it's size. The drivers seat is comfortable and adjustable. The vehicle seems much larger than it really is. The car feels solid and confident until pushed to it's limits.On the dependabiltiy side, there still seems to be some issued that need attention. My car had an start and stall routine from time to time. The engine and transmission require close attention to keep the motor from redlining. The engine revs fast and requires shorter shifts than the 150 hp 5 speed. It is a good car and a good choice for single or two passenger vehicle.