Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I luv tha Beetle
By Michele Pitkoff

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car . It is so comfortable to drive and fun to drive.

not baby friendly but still good.
By chicloso

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Beetle is a very good car overall, with only a few annoying quirks. The ride is sporty, yet supple where it needs to be. Very easy to control. Just try to get it on 3 wheels or to spin out of control...it ain't easy. Braking is top of the line & out performs most Japanese cars & many domestics. No one can match the headroom, not even a truck,unless your in a convertible. Power windows,locks,alarm,sideairbags,heated seats,etc are standard. It has an excellent safety record too. Beetle has a solid feel to it.

Favorite Features

Favs are the nifty shaped keys,power hatch,power gas lock,rear passenger map lights,cut outs in the front seats for the rear passengers. This car is much bigger than it looks from the outside. Engineers thought alot about the target market.

Suggested Improvements

Needed are extendable sunvisors,split-folding rear seat,& better fuel economy.The visors are completely useless for side use. A full size stroller doesn't fit well into the trunk if the baby is in the back seat. If you want fuel economy,opt for the diesel or manual trans.

My Blue Bug
By dcrane

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

It was my 50th B'day present - - what a surprise - - it has turned heads on the streets now for 5 months

Favorite Features

convertible with heated leather seats what a combo

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders - -too small

Love it, but had a big problem
By NeilS

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Amazing engineering and design for such a small car, lots of fun to drive. Turbo has a lot of power, but lags when starting from dead stop. I had a BMW 325is, and this car drives a lot like it. For the $, I don't think you can beat it, especially if you're looking for a four seater convertible. But.... I had a defective slave cylinder that caused the clutch to burn up after 3300 miles, and the car broke down on the NJ Turnpike. Warranty covered it, it's all fixed and working great, but I have to question reliability when I break down so soon.

Favorite Features

Monsoon stereo is great, 6 disc changer in center console is neat too. Stick shift performs well (until my clutch problem), top comes down easily. Rain sensing wipers are really cool, except for one complaint (see below).

Suggested Improvements

Button that controls all four windows at once (very useful) gets confused sometimes if all windows don't start in same position. Rain-sensing wipers are great, but sometimes don't sense the rain until you turn them off and back on.

fun to drive
By jbrum0205

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife, and she just loves it. She likes how easy the top goes down. She says that it's easy to close too. Now I like how it handles. My two girls just love it. They're already fighting how's going to get it.

Favorite Features

convertible,6 cdchanger soundsystem