Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Super B.
By skiman

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Turbo S is very fun to drive and has been a very reliable automobile. I love the cars overall design but would make a few slight improvements. Great handling and performance, "don't be afraid to drive it to the limit". You'll be impressed with the Turbo S's high speed maneuverability. The faster you go the more fun this car is!

Favorite Features

ESP. High speed obstacle handling. Throttle response at higher speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Improve take off turbo lag by finding new style turbo valves. Despite eibach style sport springs could use a little stiffer suspension and 1 1/2 inches lowering to improve handling even more. Replace HX/MX Michelin tires with a more responsive traction control tire.

bug
By Bettine

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

love this car great to drive and can carry lots with the hatch down! only draw back I've found is the placement of the cup holders you can't get anything bigger then a soda can. thinking they need to think about those big gulps from 7-11

A kick to drive, but...
By CAClaire

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car for fun, power & speed, & it delivers . However, there are drawbacks, some which aren't a problem for me (small cupholders), & some that are, especially the lack of sun protection on the side windows. Sunbelt residents beware. A really big disappointment - I just got back from a long trip that revealed APPALLING road noise! Forget using your nifty monsoon sound system unless you crank it up full blast, forget using your cellphone, forget a conversation with your travelling companion at any level lower than shouting. Bad, bad, bad.

Favorite Features

Very nimble, responsive handling. Serious power.

Suggested Improvements

Soundproofing, please! Visors or shades on the side windows. Rear window wiper.

This car rocks!
By El Guapo

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got the new Lifestyle package in Blue Lagoon. The blue and black leather seats are awesome and the turbo eats up these hills in Austin. Owner of a 1972 beetle and it is amazing how far these cars have come.

Favorite Features

styling, blue leather interior

I love it!
By bugsy

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Volkswagen and I am so glad I bought a bug. A yellow one at that. Everyone says it is so perfect for me and it is so much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Red interior lights, how the seats go so far forward, sunroof, fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo isn't near what I thought it would be and I don't love where the cup holders are. I can only have one tall latte in there at a time.