2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Still The Best $ for $
By William H Morris on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Dependable, all around enjoyable vehicle to drive. Power to spare. Very comfortable for small car.

only three complaints!
By TiffieTu on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second new beetle in as many years. The first a 2000 GLX, I kept a year before VW of Amer. replaced it with a 2001 GLX, gratus. Car kept loosing power after coming to a stop and attempting to accelerate again. They spent a year trying to correct without success. New 2001 does the same thing and now they "own-up-to" it's "Turbo-Lag which all Turbos have and They can't do anything about it."

NOT AS FUN AS YOU THINK....
By cathybee on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only car I have EVER wanted and after having it for a year, I will never own one again. I have had it in for repairs at least 20 times-- everything from a basic turn signal not working to the entire electronic system completing going. The driver's side window also malfunctioned---and when it was 30 degrees outside! Can you believe that for a car that's a year old? No thanks. Volkswagen can keep it.

Hate It
By Dont buy a bug on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than I had with my prior car that I had for 7 years. I have had the dashboard replaced twice, the stereo replaced 4 times, the keys replaced once. Also 2x in the last year the car didnt start, for no reason. Then when it did it, the entire dashboard was lit up, hence the 2x replacing the dashboard.

Beetle Review
By PilotRicky on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive. Still gets smiles. Two airbags replaced already. One time check engine light kept coming on...was some module problem. Front turn signals have repeatedly messed up, (started blinking way too fast), dealer has never resolved the problem. Well built car, lots of fun. Needs the VR6 engine and all wheel drive to make it what I really want.

LEMON
By zozo on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had my car 4 days and I had to take it back (Car was brand new, it had 3 miles when I picked it up) Anyway the dealership ended up making my 1st car payment because they had it a month. The car had to have it's breaks replaced and the sensor panel replaced (IN A BRAND NEW CAR), and the window kept coming off track and the car was taken back 4 more times due to the breaks.

I Luv My Bug!!
By Chrissstine on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My only complaint is the cup holders... This is the first car I have ever owned that I wanted to keep immaculate..When the sunroof is open along with the side windows it feels like a convertible without the sun burning you up.... gas mileage..awesome....(I own a Surburban too!)...buy one you won't regret it..cheap to insure..it has a good safety rating...

2003 GLX Turbo Automatic
By Cutebug on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Love my car. Cutest thing on the road. Turbo gives the car a lot of pep. Smooth ride on the freeway.

LOVE MY NEW BEETLE
By HOLLY on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

LOVE MY NEW BEETLE. FUN AND EASY TO DRIVE AND VERY COMFORTABLE.

I "Love" my New Beetle
By Laurel on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car to drive. I wanted a beetle in the 60's but was young and could not afford one. Finally got a Beetle last year after all kids had left home. I think the design of this new beetle is so much better than the original. It is Heavier and roomier and I feel much safer in it than I think I would have been in the orignal. It handles like a dream and has a smoothe ride not unlike much bigger, heavier cars. It has met my expectations many times over. I am really glad I got it. I plan to give it to my daughter as a college graduation gift, (she has wanted one for years) and then buy a new convertible beetle for me.