2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Driver Found!!!
By LvMyConvBug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my Vw Conv Bug for a couple of months now and so glad that I bought one. Everything about it is fun down to the cute vase. The colors are also what makes the car fun. I think everyone needs a bug.

Favorite Features

The conv top and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Make the boot go on easier.

Its has a few faults but its about LOVE!
By Beetleboy

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my aquarius blue convertible for 5 months now. I love the car. It is fun to drive, people notice you, young and old love this car. I had problems with my air bag light that won't go off and windows that will not go back up under the convertible top. It has been to the service dept several times for these problems. They are happening less frequent now. My dealership and service advisor have been great. They bend over backwards to please me. I finally broke the 30 mpg barrier after 4500 miles.These are little problems people have. This car is great to drive!! Oh, by the way, this is my 3rd VW and I will continue to buy them.

Favorite Features

convertible, stereo, manual transmission

Suggested Improvements

cupholders, cupholders, cupholders, cloth seats would be nice, bigger trunk, new convertible boot....it is hard to get on.

New Rag Top
By Beth 66

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Great car, fun to drive, lots and lots of looks from other jealous drivers. The top is very easy to put up and down and does not leak!

Favorite Features

Please, its got to be the rag top! Sound system is great too! The 4 year bumper to bumper warranty is a relief as well.

Suggested Improvements

The wind screen seems to fall quite a bit. I've had a problem with one of the windows not going down completely, which will be fixed under warranty.

I love my bug!
By GreyLear26

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my bug convertible! It is a great little car. It is fun to drive, pretty economical considering fuel cost. I just love it. I look forward to it getting cooler here in Phoenix, so it will be more conformable to drive with the top down.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the convertible top! Plus, I like the sound system.

Suggested Improvements

You guys need XM satellite radio! That's the only thing I wish I had in my car... oh! and air conditioned seats! I wish I had those as well.

Car Review
By Firemansgal

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is a great, fun little car. I have Mellow Yellow & people wave or say they love my car wherever I go! This is NOT a low profile vehicle! It's a great head turner!

Favorite Features

The top goes down so easy! It really takes just a matter of seconds. I also got caught in a downpour & not one drip inside the vehicle! (Of cours the top was up!)

Suggested Improvements

The seats have some type of device on the side that you have to roll in order to lay the seat back or put it up. It's a little inconvienient.

I luv tha Beetle
By Michele Pitkoff

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love this car . It is so comfortable to drive and fun to drive.

not baby friendly but still good.
By chicloso

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Beetle is a very good car overall, with only a few annoying quirks. The ride is sporty, yet supple where it needs to be. Very easy to control. Just try to get it on 3 wheels or to spin out of control...it ain't easy. Braking is top of the line & out performs most Japanese cars & many domestics. No one can match the headroom, not even a truck,unless your in a convertible. Power windows,locks,alarm,sideairbags,heated seats,etc are standard. It has an excellent safety record too. Beetle has a solid feel to it.

Favorite Features

Favs are the nifty shaped keys,power hatch,power gas lock,rear passenger map lights,cut outs in the front seats for the rear passengers. This car is much bigger than it looks from the outside. Engineers thought alot about the target market.

Suggested Improvements

Needed are extendable sunvisors,split-folding rear seat,& better fuel economy.The visors are completely useless for side use. A full size stroller doesn't fit well into the trunk if the baby is in the back seat. If you want fuel economy,opt for the diesel or manual trans.

My Blue Bug
By dcrane

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

It was my 50th B'day present - - what a surprise - - it has turned heads on the streets now for 5 months

Favorite Features

convertible with heated leather seats what a combo

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders - -too small

Love it, but had a big problem
By NeilS

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Amazing engineering and design for such a small car, lots of fun to drive. Turbo has a lot of power, but lags when starting from dead stop. I had a BMW 325is, and this car drives a lot like it. For the $, I don't think you can beat it, especially if you're looking for a four seater convertible. But.... I had a defective slave cylinder that caused the clutch to burn up after 3300 miles, and the car broke down on the NJ Turnpike. Warranty covered it, it's all fixed and working great, but I have to question reliability when I break down so soon.

Favorite Features

Monsoon stereo is great, 6 disc changer in center console is neat too. Stick shift performs well (until my clutch problem), top comes down easily. Rain sensing wipers are really cool, except for one complaint (see below).

Suggested Improvements

Button that controls all four windows at once (very useful) gets confused sometimes if all windows don't start in same position. Rain-sensing wipers are great, but sometimes don't sense the rain until you turn them off and back on.

fun to drive
By jbrum0205

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife, and she just loves it. She likes how easy the top goes down. She says that it's easy to close too. Now I like how it handles. My two girls just love it. They're already fighting how's going to get it.

Favorite Features

convertible,6 cdchanger soundsystem