Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Cute, but at a pricy
By sherry

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say, I love my Beetle Convertible, but I am not impressed with VW's reliability or dealer service. In less than 19,000 miles my Beetle has COMPLETELY broken down twice, and I had to have it towed both times through roadside assistance. In fact the first one was on my way home from vacation in Florida, and the delay was not a pleasant expereience. So far I've had the entire ignition system replaced, new battery and alternator and most recently had to have the front bumper removed just to fix a broken sensor. (A "quick" 6 business day fix) I think VW is right on target with their design and engineering, but they just don't make it all work. I will not be buying another VW.

The sverall design is great, solid feel to the materials and build. Quiet Interior with top up. Good safety features.

Make all of the overly complex systems actually work.

With the wind in my hair...
By Kristabelle

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd have a VW, much less a convertible, but here I am. This car is so cute, fun and fun to drive. I've had the top down non-stop and have had to figure out the best way to keep my hair fixed and out of my face! Gee, what a problem to have! I'm 30 w/no kids and 2 dogs. Can't wait to buy doggles for the dogs to wear in the back seat...with the wind blowing in their hair...

Easy to put the top down. Roomy interior, at least in the front seat.

Can't believe a 2003 didn't come standard with a CD player. The cup holders stink.

No Problems with This Beetle!
By BlueBug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading about all the problems on the New Beetle Convertible, I had to review mine. After nearly 20,000 miles it's been flawless except for a turn signal issue that the dealer addressed. Dealer told us to ALWAYS use the top cover or risk having the top torn away at highway speeds.

Blue sky above. Wind in what used to be my hair. Wind blocker actually works. 1.8 Turbo is strong!

More lumbar support in seats. Better top cover. Sun visors are useless.

Beetle Convertible Punch Buggy
By Berni

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun car with space for 2 adults and 2 children. Easy to open/close top. Lots of extras.

Seat heaters and CD Changer

Larger trunk.

Children are not importants... (VW)
By lslaflamme

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ok, I'm a french canadian and I will get to the point about children safety. This car is not legal in Canada for children seat because it doesn't permit the installation of a top (third) point anchor. We learn that after the purchase. VW said that the car is equiped with LATCH system, but it doesn't (the third point is not there at the top.) For that, this car should be 0/10. The children safety is the top priority of any car builder. I plan the get a lawyer until VW find a solution. I will go to the media. For the rest of the the car itself, it is very good.

Turbo, front seat, ESP, shifter.

Children safety (3 points, LATCH + the top anchor). This is necessary in Canada.