2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Poor Craftsmanship, Gas Mileage, and Reliability
By DJBoca on 11/09/06 19:26 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car looks nice, rides nice, but then things start to break. I've replaced the convertible top, driver's door, key cylinder, all the window motors, various sensors in the engine, and the convertible flaps. So much goes wrong. I'm in a love / hate relationship with this thing. I love to drive it and I love the windshield angle / distance, but hate the constant breakdowns. A door replacement took three weeks to fix. This car is not worth it. Find something else.

Poor Milage
By Jeff on 06/21/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was told when I bought this car it would get 42/52 MPG because it is a deisel I have never even gotten 40 MPG ever! I felt ripped off! by the Dealer! They told me to write to VW, even though the salesman told me and repeatedly told me about the high MPG the best I've ever gotten is 35 MPG city and highway, which isn't bad, but it's not 42 or even 52 as promised by the salesman! I will never buy another car from this DEALER ever again! I feel ripped off every time I fill up.

It's AWESOME
By LuvBug on 06/21/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has the same engine as the Audi A4 but performs way better than an A4 (I had driven an A4 for a while). It can go fast, and It's fun to drive. The overall handling is very good which I really didn't expect!

A nice Bug
By Ally on 05/25/06 18:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The pros: Fun with top down, people love to look at it, reliable, zippy power, vinyl no dead cows to sit on, windsheild is not in your face, lots of head room. Some things that disapoint me: The stupidly short sun visor that doesnt even cover 1/4 of the window to block the sun from the side. I had to get one of those kids sun shades that suctions to the giant side window. The seats are not made for long rides or if you have any kind of back trouble. The pedals are high so if you are tall, its hard to get comfortable. I still have trouble adjusting to the seat, doesn't go back far enough. The back seat is for kids only, it has no comfort. I like the car overall but the comfort is poor. Not it is not for old people.

TDI Plus and Minus
By Terry Thompson on 01/24/06 12:20 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI Beetle is a great idea, I bought it because I assumed it would get good mileage and last a long time. Yes and no. It generally gets good gas mileage but there is a problem. Our diesel fuel isn't all that good and the engine has a tendency to combine some of the bad components with carbon particles which, over time, ends up clogging the intake manifold. There has been a solution (a rather expensive one) but VW no longer supports it. You can get to about 30,000 - 40,000 miles before something has to be done. Know this going in, if VW figures out a solution to this problem, the car is a great buy, if they don't stay away.

Cute, but at a pricy
By sherry on 08/05/05 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say, I love my Beetle Convertible, but I am not impressed with VW's reliability or dealer service. In less than 19,000 miles my Beetle has COMPLETELY broken down twice, and I had to have it towed both times through roadside assistance. In fact the first one was on my way home from vacation in Florida, and the delay was not a pleasant expereience. So far I've had the entire ignition system replaced, new battery and alternator and most recently had to have the front bumper removed just to fix a broken sensor. (A "quick" 6 business day fix) I think VW is right on target with their design and engineering, but they just don't make it all work. I will not be buying another VW.

With the wind in my hair...
By Kristabelle on 07/21/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd have a VW, much less a convertible, but here I am. This car is so cute, fun and fun to drive. I've had the top down non-stop and have had to figure out the best way to keep my hair fixed and out of my face! Gee, what a problem to have! I'm 30 w/no kids and 2 dogs. Can't wait to buy doggles for the dogs to wear in the back seat...with the wind blowing in their hair...

No Problems with This Beetle!
By BlueBug on 06/30/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading about all the problems on the New Beetle Convertible, I had to review mine. After nearly 20,000 miles it's been flawless except for a turn signal issue that the dealer addressed. Dealer told us to ALWAYS use the top cover or risk having the top torn away at highway speeds.

Worth Babying
By stoontdi on 05/09/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

If everybody had one of these, it wouldn't be as much fun. The TDI can pull a 1500 lb. boat and trailer better than a gas with all that torque and still get over 32 miles to the gallon.

Even better the second time!
By Matthew on 04/21/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had a 2001 dark blue turbo beetle before and loved it so much i upgraded to a red turbo S. I can't imagine driving anything else (getting in other cars just seems so dull)! Not one single problem has occurred- VW has improved tremendously on their reliability.