2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf on 07/23/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.

2003 Volkswagen GLX Turbo Coupe (Betty)
By Stephanie on 03/25/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car when a car of ours was stolen. It has been a really fun and reliable form of transportation. We are planning on keeping it in the family, since it has been so reliable. I would recommend this car and would make the same purchase again.

Reliable and Fun
By kayjay75 on 09/30/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new and have never had any problems. It's fun to drive, is a rare model, and overall takes good care of me. I've driven Japanese cars before but found them to be boring and average. This car has more personality than 100 Japanese cars combined. It's definitely not for everybody but if you truly enjoy driving then a Volkswagen is undoubtedly an excellent choice. I plan to hold onto this car forever. Happy driving!

I luv my V-Dub!
By Elaine Fabs on 09/25/07 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been driving my Turbo charged, lagoon blue VW Beetle for 2 and 1/2 months now and I just love it! I have great power and stunning looks. It's so much fun to drive. I have not had a single problem with it. Gotta luv the bug!

Adorable Car with Way Too Many Issues
By LS on 08/20/07 09:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fell in love with this car and bought it new. Within the first three months, I think it was in the shop about 4 times. Since then, particularly during summer months, it's in the shop on average about once every 6 weeks. Have had problems with the windows, the speakers, the battery (twice), the roof has broken countless times, the wiring on the tail lights, the airbag sensors, the blinker - and the door, which still isn't fixed. Also, the service at my dealership is terrible. They once replaced the wrong airbag so the sensor came back on a couple days later. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND this car. They take no accountability and I will never purchase another VW, no matter how cute.

Is it a Lemon?
By Chel on 05/04/07 20:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with only 20,000 miles on it. My first car was the old VW, and ever since they came out with the new models I always wanted one. In the 13,000 miles I have put on it in one year, I have taken it to the shop 10 times. The manufacturers warranty has now run out (not due to mileage, but to age) and now I have to use the extended warranty I purchased from Carmax. But they don't know how to fix VW's so I must pay extra to take it to a dealer! (I was never informed of this!) I have had electrical problems with the windows, top problems where it wouldn't go up or come down at times, overheating problems (3 times!), now I am finished! I am trading in this car tomorrow!

Love that Car!
By Phyllida on 01/20/07 22:12 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love it so much that I do not want to trade it in for a 2007, although I probably shall. With every New Beetle there is usually one problem. For the 2000 model, it was the parking gear, which was somehow attached via computer chip to the brake light and the cruise control. For the 2003 model, it was the alternator and the heater. The car handles so beautifully on the road that these are mere annoyances!

Too Cute Not to Love!
By R. P. on 01/15/07 11:53 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the New Beetle when they first came out and I have wanted one ever since. Owning one has been a dream come true! I love my Bug!

Still Paying for Itself
By driven on 12/25/06 04:05 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This TDI was purchased with the intent of commuting. It returned 47 mpg the first two years of ownership but just 43 mpg since a new set of tires was put on at 60,000 miles. It starts right up in cold weather (as low as -8 F), handles well, and has more than enough power. The car is comfortable and has been dependable to date other than the repeated replacement of headlights (three in 65,000 miles). The interior has held up well despite the miles and three kids. I bought it as a leftover for $16,600 and it has proven to be very reliable. My uncle owns an auto 2002 TDI and gets 42 mpg. Mine is the 5-speed stick. I am looking for a second one for my teenage daughter.

Fastest Bug Ever Made (STOCK)
By captbill on 11/28/06 12:38 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is one of the most fun, sportiest, fastest little speed demons on the road today. It is 6 speeds of pure driving pleasure. Mine has every option that you could have on a little machine from heated leather seats to heated mirrors. This machine rocks! I LOVE IT! Volkswagen outdone themselves on this little baby. The way every window and sunroof closes at 85 to keep you safe and aerodynamic is amazing.