Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I love my convertible
By CK

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looking for a fun car that's sure to get people's heads turning? The Volkswagen new beetle convertible is it! This is the best car I've ever owned. It is reliable, sturdy, gets great gas mileage. I've had no problems with it. I would highly recommend this car! If you're thinking you see a bunch of bad reviews--try it for yourself, it may surprise you with how great it is. That's what I did, and it was the best choice. Good job Volkswagen!

Favorite Features

Four window roll down, safety features, leather seats, trip tonic transmission, easy to put down convertible top, no blind spots, nice glove box

Suggested Improvements

I wish I could take out the floor mats to clean them, no change storage

Never again
By twilliams

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car w/only 17,000 miles-1 owner. Brakes/front needed new w/rotors @ 37,000 miles. R/brakes w/rotors @ 58,000. R/hatch takes 2-3 hits to release. Have had 4 low beam bulbs burn out! Dealer charges $$$ 2 replace. Check engine light on, thermostat eng. Temp light on yet nothing wrong at all. Interior continues to fall apart- radio presets, visor clip, hand brake knob, dash vent close knob, tilt/tele. Rubber knob loose, glove comp. Latch ready to fall apart anytime now. Will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter what model. Have a few months to pay off, then selling it before it fails me for good. I maintain my cars well & drive them easy. Worst car ever owned- period.

Favorite Features

steering on highway has great feel. brakes good too yet wear out quickly for a light car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think building in Mexico is the problem. It's Volkswagen. poor materials, shoddy engineering, and lack of quality overall.

New Beetle Convert - Always a Problem
By New Beetle Convert

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

When it's all working? How fun. But most of the time something is broken. Windows, Convertible top mechanism, lights. Convertible mechanical flaps. Very expensive to fix any of it. Don't buy this car for the quality.

Favorite Features

Convertible is fun when it's working.

Suggested Improvements

Quality all around.

electronic issues
By Heidi

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very disappointed in the electronics of my bug - it has had so many "bugs". I've had the seat belt/airbag sensors replaced, various other sensors, the catalytic converter and every time I get in it there's seems to be some dash light that comes on indicating a problem. The car has 75,000 miles on it and is a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not recommending purchasing a Beetle because of the issues it has had. I've written a letter to the headquarters regarding the issues along with receipts from my repairs. Every time I take it to the dealer they want to charge $80+ for diagnostics. I'm at the point now that I'm looking to purchase another vehicle because of the problems I've had.

Love/Hate Relationship
By Sarah

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car just 3 months ago and the love of the car died very quickly. 2 weeks after having the car the check engine light came on and it needed a thermostat and temperature sensor ($600), then a few weeks after that the oil light comes on, can't figure out why, now 3 months later the moon roof has decided to pop up and down all on its own, its creepy, I have just gotten to the point that I laugh at the car when one of the lights comes on. I love the look of the car and its fun to drive, people wave at you and smile when they see you but Volkswagen did a horrible job at making this vehicle and really makes German engineering look bad. I will never buy another Volkswagen product again

Favorite Features

The color (Cyber Green), Heated Seats, Rain sensing wipers, the unique flower vase. It has alot more interior room than you would expect. Love the purple interior lights. The cupholders sway to the side to fit larger drinks. The 1.8 turbo is a spunky little car, surprising power.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much everything, I have read the headlights are a pain to change, thankfully I haven't had to do that yet.