Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

New Beetle Convert - Always a Problem
By New Beetle Convert

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

When it's all working? How fun. But most of the time something is broken. Windows, Convertible top mechanism, lights. Convertible mechanical flaps. Very expensive to fix any of it. Don't buy this car for the quality.

Favorite Features

Convertible is fun when it's working.

Suggested Improvements

Quality all around.

electronic issues
By Heidi

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very disappointed in the electronics of my bug - it has had so many "bugs". I've had the seat belt/airbag sensors replaced, various other sensors, the catalytic converter and every time I get in it there's seems to be some dash light that comes on indicating a problem. The car has 75,000 miles on it and is a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not recommending purchasing a Beetle because of the issues it has had. I've written a letter to the headquarters regarding the issues along with receipts from my repairs. Every time I take it to the dealer they want to charge $80+ for diagnostics. I'm at the point now that I'm looking to purchase another vehicle because of the problems I've had.

lemon beetle
By verna portugues

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have spent over $8,000 trying to get my beetle to stop jerking without avail. Now I have to spend another 6,000 to replace the transmission. And I still owe on the car. the beetle is a pretty car but not worth the hassle.

Favorite Features

At this time none

Suggested Improvements

better transmission

Great car, horrible top
By Todd

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I'm a BIG guy and I have all of the comfort of my Chrysler 300. The only issue I've had is with the convertible top. I've had it in 4 times because some cables in the raising and lowering mechanism come off track and get caught up in the whole works and it screws up the top liner. It seems to be fixed, but now it happened to the other side and it pulled more cables loose, part of the interior molding and broke some other pieces that are down inside. I've only had the car for 9 months and have only been putting the top down for 3 of them. It only had 24,000 miles when I got it!

Favorite Features

Roomy, stylish, fun to drive, great stereo, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Just fix the top.

Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.

Favorite Features

The way the convertible top goes up and down is nifty. But when it costs over a thousand to repair it (mine won't go down anymore), I have mixed emotions.

Suggested Improvements

Put some quality back in the workmanship! The interior could be nicer and better made for the price.