Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Over Powered Go Cart
By johnrushing

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years and have loved every minute of it. I love the power the little 1.8t makes and how smooth the power comes on. I left mine stock up until last year and then started modifying it. I love the look on Mustang drivers when a little beetle pulls ahead of them. The handling is great, like it's on rails, and the fuel economy is good. Before modifying the engine I got my best mpg of 32 mpg by driving no faster than 65mph and not doing any jack rabbit starts. With the mods I am still getting 29mpg. I plan on keeping the beetle and seeing exactly what type of performance the 1.8t has in it, have seen a few putting out over 350hp and still very drivable.

Favorite Features

The smoothness of the engine, the crisp sure shiftsof the 6 speed. The way the car handles like it's on rails. How cheap it is to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Better plastic on the interior trim. Some cup holders that are actually usable.

Let Me Tell You What's BUG'n Me
By steelfab

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our 03 Beetle with the 1.8L with about 50,000 miles on it. Within weeks it had an engine light on. I have battled the engine light, among other things, ever since. We changed an injector and a coil pack on the number 2 cylinder because of a persistent miss. This was after diagnosis of codes would not narrow the problem down. Immediately following it began cranking hard on start and not starting until the second attempt. First code said crankshaft sensor so we replaced that. Had to replace camshaft sensor thereafter to fix the problem. Next it threw a coolant system code so we replaced the ECT sensor. After that the thermostat. This car was a reliability nightmare. Never ever again.

Favorite Features

The moon roof was nice and the leather interior was attractive. But the red seat panel leather on the passenger seat faded.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen, you should start over or forget this model. The original Beetle was very inexpensive and super reliable. They seemed to survive anything, though they were lacking a bit in comfort. The new Beetle is a complete 180 on that idea. The MSRP for this vehicle is outrageous for the low quality parts and manufacturing the consumer receives. Sure it's more comfotable than the original. I guess that is convenient when you are sitting beside the road waiting for roadside assistance to rescue you. I understand that all vehicles in a model year perform differently but this one has prompted me to warn everyone I know away from Volkswagen.

Spend your money elsewhere
By julianna33

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

From my experience with VW my car and others they are junk. They all break easily. I have had to repair so many things a 1K a pop 5 times at least. Not including maintenance things. The design so compact requires many hours of labor to remove and replace to get to certain things. Plus the headlight lens falls off and cost ALOT of money to replace which i have done twice now at $400 each lens assembly and its falling off again! Just a crappy car. My sister has a golf the transmission and engine are going. Other family members have toyota and honda and hey i have never seen a repair as stupid or as costly or as often as VW repairs are. Junkie cars and they say German engineering is the best HA

Favorite Features

Shape and cuteness of car

Suggested Improvements

This car needs so much help, terrible parts and exspensive

Reliable and Fun
By kayjay75

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new and have never had any problems. It's fun to drive, is a rare model, and overall takes good care of me. I've driven Japanese cars before but found them to be boring and average. This car has more personality than 100 Japanese cars combined. It's definitely not for everybody but if you truly enjoy driving then a Volkswagen is undoubtedly an excellent choice. I plan to hold onto this car forever. Happy driving!

Favorite Features

Personality, performance, styling, sophisticated engineering, and all the features that come standard.

Suggested Improvements

Make another Turbo-S!

Dead at 66.000 Miles!
By Rick

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Beetle for 4 years in 2003. It was in the shop 6 times the first year! Now at 66,000 miles the engine has lost all compression. My local mechanic could not find a reason so I had it towed to the VW dealership to see if they could tell me what happened. They did not have a clue, but said the engine is definitely dead. I had the oil changed every 4000 miles. The power train warranty expired at 60,000 miles (before 2003 it was a 100,00 mile warranty. I am through with VW's! (oh yes, and I still owe money on this pile of junk)

Favorite Features

Love the style, and handling of the car

Suggested Improvements

build a better car!