Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

2003 Volkswagen GLX Turbo Coupe (Betty)
By Stephanie

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car when a car of ours was stolen. It has been a really fun and reliable form of transportation. We are planning on keeping it in the family, since it has been so reliable. I would recommend this car and would make the same purchase again.

Favorite Features

5 speed turbo, CD player and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a bit weird

I love it!
By bugsy

This is my first Volkswagen and I am so glad I bought a bug. A yellow one at that. Everyone says it is so perfect for me and it is so much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Red interior lights, how the seats go so far forward, sunroof, fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo isn't near what I thought it would be and I don't love where the cup holders are. I can only have one tall latte in there at a time.

I love my Bug!
By BugLove

My New Beetle has been absolutely wonderful. I have driven sports cars all my life, and I don't feel that they truly reflected who I am. They were fast, not very safe, and gas guzzlers. My new beetle however, is reliable, environmentally friendly, and very very cute.

Favorite Features

airbbag for the driver and the passenger airbags in the sides good gas mileage low emissions vehicle sunroof mines a color concept car- blue exterior with blue door and seat panels on the interior

Suggested Improvements

CD PLAYER--it would be nice for a CD player to be in the car already when you drive it off the lot, although min came with a free MP3 player

only three complaints!
By TiffieTu

This is my second new beetle in as many years. The first a 2000 GLX, I kept a year before VW of Amer. replaced it with a 2001 GLX, gratus. Car kept loosing power after coming to a stop and attempting to accelerate again. They spent a year trying to correct without success. New 2001 does the same thing and now they "own-up-to" it's "Turbo-Lag which all Turbos have and They can't do anything about it."

Favorite Features

...Cars mileage has never been better than the infrequently twenty mpg.New battery after cars warranty ran out was $190.00 for replacment at !4,000 miles

Suggested Improvements

Correct "Turbo-Lag"--- Correct their epa estimated mileage to a realistic 15 to 20 mpg and reduce their thieving battery replacement charge of $100 labor and 90.00 for the battery.

fun car all aroun
By bobby jo

unique car; interior is fun at night; fun to drive

Favorite Features

inside lighting

Suggested Improvements

make a back door for easier access