2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Fun to drive
By BugOut on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

20 months with only a tail light to burn out. Never back to the dealer for any repairs. Highly suggest replacing stock air filter with a K&N for a nice performance boost. I averave between 27 and 30 MPG. The only option I got is the great sounding Monsoon system. With the back seat down there is plenty of cargo room. Trips from MD to FL, and MD to Ont. Canada were very comfortable. The car holds it's value well. A lot of fun and safty.

3rd Tow in the Month of June
By Bug Hater on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Vehicle has been towed for the 3rd time in the month of June '04 - each time for repeated, but varied electrical problems. Not my idea of a "finely tuned German automobile". First repair took seven days due to parts availability and then vehicle only operated for five miles. Second repair was exactly 61 miles later, again another electrical problem. Repeated calls to Volkswagen CustomerCare center have only produced repeated apologies, but no solutions - At this point, I would not recommend this vehicle or wish my experiences on anyone.

review
By Kimberlee on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is a dream to drive and is always fun to be spotted in!

Hate It
By Dont buy a bug on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than I had with my prior car that I had for 7 years. I have had the dashboard replaced twice, the stereo replaced 4 times, the keys replaced once. Also 2x in the last year the car didnt start, for no reason. Then when it did it, the entire dashboard was lit up, hence the 2x replacing the dashboard.

Beetle Review
By PilotRicky on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive. Still gets smiles. Two airbags replaced already. One time check engine light kept coming on...was some module problem. Front turn signals have repeatedly messed up, (started blinking way too fast), dealer has never resolved the problem. Well built car, lots of fun. Needs the VR6 engine and all wheel drive to make it what I really want.

I Luv My Bug!!
By Chrissstine on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My only complaint is the cup holders... This is the first car I have ever owned that I wanted to keep immaculate..When the sunroof is open along with the side windows it feels like a convertible without the sun burning you up.... gas mileage..awesome....(I own a Surburban too!)...buy one you won't regret it..cheap to insure..it has a good safety rating...

My Volks
By teresa owens on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my new Beetle The dealership also goes out of their way to make you happy. Seems that Volkswagon treats their customers different. Hubby and I have dealt with Chevorlet,Ford and Nisson Volkswagon has better customer service

NOT AS FUN AS YOU THINK....
By cathybee on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only car I have EVER wanted and after having it for a year, I will never own one again. I have had it in for repairs at least 20 times-- everything from a basic turn signal not working to the entire electronic system completing going. The driver's side window also malfunctioned---and when it was 30 degrees outside! Can you believe that for a car that's a year old? No thanks. Volkswagen can keep it.

I "Love" my New Beetle
By Laurel on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car to drive. I wanted a beetle in the 60's but was young and could not afford one. Finally got a Beetle last year after all kids had left home. I think the design of this new beetle is so much better than the original. It is Heavier and roomier and I feel much safer in it than I think I would have been in the orignal. It handles like a dream and has a smoothe ride not unlike much bigger, heavier cars. It has met my expectations many times over. I am really glad I got it. I plan to give it to my daughter as a college graduation gift, (she has wanted one for years) and then buy a new convertible beetle for me.

So Fun, i'll only drive it!
By boujeesmom on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

easy to park, fun to clean, good on gas