2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Never again
By twilliams on 04/10/10 15:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car w/only 17,000 miles-1 owner. Brakes/front needed new w/rotors @ 37,000 miles. R/brakes w/rotors @ 58,000. R/hatch takes 2-3 hits to release. Have had 4 low beam bulbs burn out! Dealer charges $$$ 2 replace. Check engine light on, thermostat eng. Temp light on yet nothing wrong at all. Interior continues to fall apart- radio presets, visor clip, hand brake knob, dash vent close knob, tilt/tele. Rubber knob loose, glove comp. Latch ready to fall apart anytime now. Will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter what model. Have a few months to pay off, then selling it before it fails me for good. I maintain my cars well & drive them easy. Worst car ever owned- period.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Glenn Acheson on 06/07/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the worst car I've ever owned. The transmission shifts hard when its warm - dealer says that's normal. When shifting from Reverse to Drive or vice versa, you have to wait several seconds for it to engage. Replacing the battery was a royal pain, not to mention expensive. Replacing one of the front headlights was even worse. Now one of the front lenses has fallen off... The front left turn signal fell out of place from some clip that's broken. Now the check engine light is on - who knows how much THAT's going to cost. Performance is wretched, even for a 4 cyl. Mileage is only 25 mpg hwy. My 6 cyl 2000 Taurus gets 28!!!

Fun loving car
By tigger on 12/11/04 08:06 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Love to drive it and enjoy all of the smiles I get from people on the streets. Very reliable and very comfy.

2003 Bug - Sunroof
By Bragi on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed driving my 2003 bettle ever since I purchased it. The interior and exterior are both great and it is a lot of fun to drive. The interstates in Louisiana are often warped because of the hot temperatures and the bug does not handle the bumps well at high speed, other than that I don't have any complaints. It is a very reliable vehicle. The bottom clearance is low for the vechicle so you have to watch out for that. The trunk space is small but adequate and the fold-back rear seats provide more room if necessary. I enjoy having the windshield further away from the driver as it gives a more spacious feeling.

my next car will be another "new beetle"
By Jose Diogo on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car so much that my next car will be an organe new beetle 2004. (maybe convertible...)

A bug I love to hate
By sam74 on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car however the interior seats stain too easily. The paint is chipping off the interior door panels and door handles. Gunther VW repainted them at no charge. Headlight plastic cover came off for no apparrent reason while driving in Florida. The chip protectors are peeling off (cheap plastic film). Besides the cosmetic annoyances, I would definately purchase one again as it drives like a dream. Don't waste your money on the 2.0 turbo. Turbo lag, annoying sound of rear spoiler, and highprice tag. Will purchase a TDI next time around.

LOVE MY NEW BEETLE
By HOLLY on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

LOVE MY NEW BEETLE. FUN AND EASY TO DRIVE AND VERY COMFORTABLE.

great car
By beetletest on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car. Great to drive on highway. Good value. Very good guality. Would buy again.

Great Buy
By hstanleys on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Looed at mini,but did not want to pay sticker price.Also concerned about reliability.Drove new beetle and knew it was the better deal.

My Dream
By TrevorJames on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my yellow Beetle was driven into the showroom for me to view I said that it must be in my garage at once. Comfort, ease of driving, a sporty feel, and people look at you when you drive!. The workmanship on the car is remarkable. Solid build. Side airbags and a great sound system. Heated window washers and side view mirrors. I bought it for my Happy New Year to me present.