Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The not too bad, the good and the great!
By ruzzeld

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is/was our 2nd VW New Beetle TDI. Both 2003's. I can say that I've been very happy overall with both cars. The only downside is the maintenance expense compared to Toyota's. There has been zero unscheduled maintenance expense with every Toyota I've owned.

BOTH Bugs: FUN to drive! More comfortable (I'm 6'3"). Great road trip car, for my wife and I with plenty of room for luggage with the back seat folded down. GREAT mileage (never less than 43 with everyday driving and up to 55mpg on road trips). We used it as a 2nd car and whoever had to drive the furthest that day.. WANTED the bug. Fun and cheap!

Update: the beetle had great crash safety & performance. We were in an accident where a drunk driver pulled out in front of us & we hit him at nearly 70mph. We both survived.

6 years of Reliability
By Karlos

This is one of the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. Special Ordered before the big gas crisis. I can count on my hand how many times this car has been to the dealer for unscheduled service. First 100 miles the waterpump failed and was replaced without any hassles. Second time was due to the city of Chicago not posting any hazard warning for street work, destroying the bottom oil pan at 40,000 miles. The other times for regular wear and tear over the span of time.You will not be disappointed.

Firstly the fact that it's a TDI, you save lots of $$$. The heated seats are help cold morning starts.Average mileage ranges from a frugal 58 mpg to mad gas stomping and fast driving 38 mpg.

Firstly the radio casette player, it needs a cd player, why Vw in 2003. Next the am amplified antenna failed, I listen to alot of am radio,the reception is non-existent.Daytime running lights on my 3rd set. Lastly the window regulator is failing after 84000 miles.Hence the 9 on build

Rock solid!
By Thokas

In the year and a month I have owned
this car, it's brought me nothing but
smiles and enjoyment. The turbodiesel
engine is smooth, quick, and rather
quiet. The power comes on strong and
keeps coming until redline. It's a
great highway cruiser and long-distance
traveller. Why go hybrid? Get a TDI!
It's more fun!

The mileage! I'm regularly getting in the upper-40 MPG range, once averaging 56mpg for the tank. Passing power is there, the heated seats work great, I love the new console design. It's been a great car so far!

Bigger sun visors, really. That, and an autodim interior mirror. Not much else I can think of.

very happy beetle owners
By cybergreen

If you are going to buy a beetle, we
recommend the diesel. Its worth the
extra money! The reliability is worth
it! The fuel is cheaper and we get 800
miles to a tank on a road trip. They
are a bit more expensive to maintain,
but in the long run you will get many,
many more miles on your engine! The
TDI resale value is fabulous.
We are very happy with ours. Buy it to
keep it for a long, happy driving
experience.

the turbo. the heated seats and moon roof.

our beetle came with a tape deck. What? everyone listens to cd's now. the cup holders are useless. they make good change holders. they go through brakes faster for some reason.

18 Wheeler VS. Beetle
By BugDieselVW

I was hit by any 18 wheeler and the
car's protective features really did a
super job. I survived the crash with
only a few bumps and bruises. Even the
windows stayed in tact. I loved my Bug
before but now I am in love.

Diesel Engine is peppy and economical.

NONE!!!