2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Still Paying for Itself
By driven on 12/25/06 04:05 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This TDI was purchased with the intent of commuting. It returned 47 mpg the first two years of ownership but just 43 mpg since a new set of tires was put on at 60,000 miles. It starts right up in cold weather (as low as -8 F), handles well, and has more than enough power. The car is comfortable and has been dependable to date other than the repeated replacement of headlights (three in 65,000 miles). The interior has held up well despite the miles and three kids. I bought it as a leftover for $16,600 and it has proven to be very reliable. My uncle owns an auto 2002 TDI and gets 42 mpg. Mine is the 5-speed stick. I am looking for a second one for my teenage daughter.

Poor Milage
By Jeff on 06/21/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

I was told when I bought this car it would get 42/52 MPG because it is a deisel I have never even gotten 40 MPG ever! I felt ripped off! by the Dealer! They told me to write to VW, even though the salesman told me and repeatedly told me about the high MPG the best I've ever gotten is 35 MPG city and highway, which isn't bad, but it's not 42 or even 52 as promised by the salesman! I will never buy another car from this DEALER ever again! I feel ripped off every time I fill up.

TDI Plus and Minus
By Terry Thompson on 01/24/06 12:20 PM (PST)

The TDI Beetle is a great idea, I bought it because I assumed it would get good mileage and last a long time. Yes and no. It generally gets good gas mileage but there is a problem. Our diesel fuel isn't all that good and the engine has a tendency to combine some of the bad components with carbon particles which, over time, ends up clogging the intake manifold. There has been a solution (a rather expensive one) but VW no longer supports it. You can get to about 30,000 - 40,000 miles before something has to be done. Know this going in, if VW figures out a solution to this problem, the car is a great buy, if they don't stay away.

Worth Babying
By stoontdi on 05/09/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

If everybody had one of these, it wouldn't be as much fun. The TDI can pull a 1500 lb. boat and trailer better than a gas with all that torque and still get over 32 miles to the gallon.

Lemon?
By HAKOSAMA on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought this car (with 40 miles on it) because it was a VW and I've been hearing about the wonderful quality of VWs. 3 days later the Clutch went out. If I ever get it back, it's been 2 weeks, I'll let you know if I still like it. I did talk to a friend who has had one for 4 years and his turbo has gone out twice. Let's keep our fingers crossed or I'll have to go back to Kia's and Mazda's.

Bailey's review
By Jim Ragan on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love to drive it and am very proud of the little guy. It feels like I'm driving a much heavier and larger car.

Happy Driver
By Witty on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

With over 5,000 miles driven I'm averaging 47 miles/gal. overall. The car is pretty peppy but not really fast. Interior room is abundant with more overhead space than I've had in any previous vehicle. Sound system and acoustics are good. Handles great.

Save your money!!
By Heather Boyd on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

This is the worst car that I have ever owned. Repairs are as follows: Headlights 2 times,Disc brakes and rotors (at 30000 miles), Check engine light on constanly(costing $90.00 every time) EGR valve,Air dam,Brake switch,Fuel line freeze up at 25 degrees. Not to mention the 24/24 warranty.Dealer is tired of me coming back all the time. Save your money!!! Also... At 50000 miles it will cost you $500.00 to replace the timing belt.

What a Surprize!
By Moab on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I compared the New Beetle TDI with the Mini Cooper. The Beetle won out as to ride, handling, and economy. The panel instrumentation was also better. What won us over was the ease of getting the Beetle it serviced. The dealer also gave a deal on oil changes that was less than Jiffy Lube quoted for 100K miles. I wish the low fuel light didn't come on with 125 miles left on the tank empty.

Few comments
By celeste on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

This car has lots of pep and is easy to drive. It's interior design makes the most of a small car.