Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Still Paying for Itself
By driven

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This TDI was purchased with the intent of commuting. It returned 47 mpg the first two years of ownership but just 43 mpg since a new set of tires was put on at 60,000 miles. It starts right up in cold weather (as low as -8 F), handles well, and has more than enough power. The car is comfortable and has been dependable to date other than the repeated replacement of headlights (three in 65,000 miles). The interior has held up well despite the miles and three kids. I bought it as a leftover for $16,600 and it has proven to be very reliable. My uncle owns an auto 2002 TDI and gets 42 mpg. Mine is the 5-speed stick. I am looking for a second one for my teenage daughter.

The great gas mileage, style, and practicality.

The cup holders are poorly designed. The rear seats should fold flat to horizontal.

Poor Milage
By Jeff

I was told when I bought this car it would get 42/52 MPG because it is a deisel I have never even gotten 40 MPG ever! I felt ripped off! by the Dealer! They told me to write to VW, even though the salesman told me and repeatedly told me about the high MPG the best I've ever gotten is 35 MPG city and highway, which isn't bad, but it's not 42 or even 52 as promised by the salesman! I will never buy another car from this DEALER ever again! I feel ripped off every time I fill up.

It handles well, has a great sound system, and the heated seats are a plus in the winter!

Stop lying about the gas milage. A 4 door model would be nice!!! instant heat would be nice.

TDI Plus and Minus
By Terry Thompson

The TDI Beetle is a great idea, I bought it because I assumed it would get good mileage and last a long time. Yes and no. It generally gets good gas mileage but there is a problem. Our diesel fuel isn't all that good and the engine has a tendency to combine some of the bad components with carbon particles which, over time, ends up clogging the intake manifold. There has been a solution (a rather expensive one) but VW no longer supports it. You can get to about 30,000 - 40,000 miles before something has to be done. Know this going in, if VW figures out a solution to this problem, the car is a great buy, if they don't stay away.

The engine has been updated and has more power for 2004. It is a great little car to drive and practical. The back seat folds down completely.

They have to figure out a solution to the fuel problem.

Worth Babying
By stoontdi

If everybody had one of these, it wouldn't be as much fun. The TDI can pull a 1500 lb. boat and trailer better than a gas with all that torque and still get over 32 miles to the gallon.

Lots of headroom, even with the sunroof. You can elevate your seat and drive like a busy-body or pump your seat to the bottom, tilt back and cruise cool.

The engine should have been in the back where it belongs ... like a Porsche. That's why the dash board is so deep, and the rear head room is less than an old Beetle.

Lemon?
By HAKOSAMA

I bought this car (with 40 miles on
it) because it was a VW and I've been
hearing about the wonderful quality of
VWs. 3 days later the Clutch went
out. If I ever get it back, it's been
2 weeks, I'll let you know if I still
like it. I did talk to a friend who
has had one for 4 years and his turbo
has gone out twice. Let's keep our
fingers crossed or I'll have to go
back to Kia's and Mazda's.

Looks Great, Drives Great, comfortable and quiet. Unbelievable gas mileage.

the Monsoon stereo system isn't all it's supposed to be. My 2003 Jeep Liberty stereo sounds better.