Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

No Problems with This Beetle!
By BlueBug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading about all the problems on the New Beetle Convertible, I had to review mine. After nearly 20,000 miles it's been flawless except for a turn signal issue that the dealer addressed. Dealer told us to ALWAYS use the top cover or risk having the top torn away at highway speeds.

Blue sky above. Wind in what used to be my hair. Wind blocker actually works. 1.8 Turbo is strong!

More lumbar support in seats. Better top cover. Sun visors are useless.

Children are not importants... (VW)
By lslaflamme

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ok, I'm a french canadian and I will get to the point about children safety. This car is not legal in Canada for children seat because it doesn't permit the installation of a top (third) point anchor. We learn that after the purchase. VW said that the car is equiped with LATCH system, but it doesn't (the third point is not there at the top.) For that, this car should be 0/10. The children safety is the top priority of any car builder. I plan the get a lawyer until VW find a solution. I will go to the media. For the rest of the the car itself, it is very good.

Turbo, front seat, ESP, shifter.

Children safety (3 points, LATCH + the top anchor). This is necessary in Canada.

One Awsome VW
By grahamj3

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the convertible for my wife on our anniversary. She and I love the car! It puts a smile on our faces. It is not a car for an introvert. Everyone stares and smiles as we drive by. The turbo is the way to go. My GLX has every option including the wind blocker. It is awfully quick as well. I can't go on enough about our love for this car. It holds it's own and is the love of our stable which includes an Audi A6 2.7T, an Audi A4, and a Cadillac STS.

Turbo, interior room (I can sit in the back with my wife driving and I am 6'6"), trunk space, lockable console CD Changer

Please make front windows more sturdy!