2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

GLS Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
electronic issues
By Heidi on 01/09/10 09:42 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very disappointed in the electronics of my bug - it has had so many "bugs". I've had the seat belt/airbag sensors replaced, various other sensors, the catalytic converter and every time I get in it there's seems to be some dash light that comes on indicating a problem. The car has 75,000 miles on it and is a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not recommending purchasing a Beetle because of the issues it has had. I've written a letter to the headquarters regarding the issues along with receipts from my repairs. Every time I take it to the dealer they want to charge $80+ for diagnostics. I'm at the point now that I'm looking to purchase another vehicle because of the problems I've had.

lemon beetle
By verna portugues on 04/19/09 04:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have spent over $8,000 trying to get my beetle to stop jerking without avail. Now I have to spend another 6,000 to replace the transmission. And I still owe on the car. the beetle is a pretty car but not worth the hassle.

Great car, horrible top
By Todd on 07/30/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I'm a BIG guy and I have all of the comfort of my Chrysler 300. The only issue I've had is with the convertible top. I've had it in 4 times because some cables in the raising and lowering mechanism come off track and get caught up in the whole works and it screws up the top liner. It seems to be fixed, but now it happened to the other side and it pulled more cables loose, part of the interior molding and broke some other pieces that are down inside. I've only had the car for 9 months and have only been putting the top down for 3 of them. It only had 24,000 miles when I got it!

Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf on 07/23/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.

Adorable Car with Way Too Many Issues
By LS on 08/20/07 09:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fell in love with this car and bought it new. Within the first three months, I think it was in the shop about 4 times. Since then, particularly during summer months, it's in the shop on average about once every 6 weeks. Have had problems with the windows, the speakers, the battery (twice), the roof has broken countless times, the wiring on the tail lights, the airbag sensors, the blinker - and the door, which still isn't fixed. Also, the service at my dealership is terrible. They once replaced the wrong airbag so the sensor came back on a couple days later. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND this car. They take no accountability and I will never purchase another VW, no matter how cute.

Is it a Lemon?
By Chel on 05/04/07 20:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with only 20,000 miles on it. My first car was the old VW, and ever since they came out with the new models I always wanted one. In the 13,000 miles I have put on it in one year, I have taken it to the shop 10 times. The manufacturers warranty has now run out (not due to mileage, but to age) and now I have to use the extended warranty I purchased from Carmax. But they don't know how to fix VW's so I must pay extra to take it to a dealer! (I was never informed of this!) I have had electrical problems with the windows, top problems where it wouldn't go up or come down at times, overheating problems (3 times!), now I am finished! I am trading in this car tomorrow!

Too Cute Not to Love!
By R. P. on 01/15/07 11:53 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the New Beetle when they first came out and I have wanted one ever since. Owning one has been a dream come true! I love my Bug!

Poor Craftsmanship, Gas Mileage, and Reliability
By DJBoca on 11/09/06 19:26 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car looks nice, rides nice, but then things start to break. I've replaced the convertible top, driver's door, key cylinder, all the window motors, various sensors in the engine, and the convertible flaps. So much goes wrong. I'm in a love / hate relationship with this thing. I love to drive it and I love the windshield angle / distance, but hate the constant breakdowns. A door replacement took three weeks to fix. This car is not worth it. Find something else.

Cute, but at a pricy
By sherry on 08/05/05 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say, I love my Beetle Convertible, but I am not impressed with VW's reliability or dealer service. In less than 19,000 miles my Beetle has COMPLETELY broken down twice, and I had to have it towed both times through roadside assistance. In fact the first one was on my way home from vacation in Florida, and the delay was not a pleasant expereience. So far I've had the entire ignition system replaced, new battery and alternator and most recently had to have the front bumper removed just to fix a broken sensor. (A "quick" 6 business day fix) I think VW is right on target with their design and engineering, but they just don't make it all work. I will not be buying another VW.

With the wind in my hair...
By Kristabelle on 07/21/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd have a VW, much less a convertible, but here I am. This car is so cute, fun and fun to drive. I've had the top down non-stop and have had to figure out the best way to keep my hair fixed and out of my face! Gee, what a problem to have! I'm 30 w/no kids and 2 dogs. Can't wait to buy doggles for the dogs to wear in the back seat...with the wind blowing in their hair...