2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
My Horror Story
By azuki on 03/19/14 21:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my first car at the age of 18. When I got my Beetle, it had about 72,000 miles on it, and not even 4 months after receiving it, the problems began. Immediately, my transmission died completely. My warranty company gave me a $4,000 check and voided my warranty after seeing the $12,000 repair bill. Then, the battery died. Twice. As did the alternator and air conditioning. My rear window also got stuck and that would have cost me 4 hours of labor fees just to get to the broken bits. It's not like I drove it a lot - over a course of 3 years I didn't even drive 10,000 miles. For the love of god, stay away from this car. It is one problem after another, literally every 3-5 months.

2003 New Beetle Turbo
By iatros on 11/16/12 06:58 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought our 2003 New Beetle Convertible Turbo with auto 6 speed in June 2003 for my wife's birthday. We had to go to Arlington, TX, to order one of the first to come into the USA. My wife has loved this car! The handling and comfort are great, and she loves to leave the pickemup drivers standing at the lights. We don't drive it much, but one highlight was trip from Huntsville, AL, to Ashville, NC, in October. But I worry a bit. There have been several service issues, including one coil recoil. The latest service, with 57,600 miles, was the appearance of Service Engine light. Dealer wants only $2200 to fix everything!

disposable car
By ruizd on 06/14/11 01:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2003 convertible beetle with 60k. one week after driving it i notice a hard shift, a few days after an oil leak was noticed. I took it a Volkswagen dealer and they did a diagnostic and confirmed what I told them, suggested that I do a transmission fluid check and it could fix the problem I said BS. I had read all the complaints about this car and my mechanic also told me that I should have never bought it, he pointed out the the transmission could not be serviced and all of the hoses are made of plastic that with heat they become brittle and break.. so I took my loss and bought a Honda accord. don't buy this car is disposable. I would never buy a volkswagen again..

Poor build quality and transmission lets it down
By ricochet65 on 02/23/11 04:42 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2003 Convertible, lightly driven with 43000 miles. Transmission failed, due to what now appears to be a known problem with the "valve body". VW support extremely poor. This car looks nice but has been nothing but trouble: windows do not work correctly, have been fixed twice, roof gets stuck and VW fitter wanted $1500 to repair (it took me 10 minutes to snap the loose clip back on and cost nothing - so much for service. Everything is a hassle to repair - battery is over $200, bulbs cannot be replaced easily, airbag light cost $250 to temporarily repair. If you want the beetle style spend the money on a restored air cooled one, from when VW knew how to make serviceable vehicles!

I love my convertible
By CK on 07/01/10 11:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looking for a fun car that's sure to get people's heads turning? The Volkswagen new beetle convertible is it! This is the best car I've ever owned. It is reliable, sturdy, gets great gas mileage. I've had no problems with it. I would highly recommend this car! If you're thinking you see a bunch of bad reviews--try it for yourself, it may surprise you with how great it is. That's what I did, and it was the best choice. Good job Volkswagen!

New Beetle Convert - Always a Problem
By New Beetle Convert on 03/07/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

When it's all working? How fun. But most of the time something is broken. Windows, Convertible top mechanism, lights. Convertible mechanical flaps. Very expensive to fix any of it. Don't buy this car for the quality.

electronic issues
By Heidi on 01/09/10 09:42 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very disappointed in the electronics of my bug - it has had so many "bugs". I've had the seat belt/airbag sensors replaced, various other sensors, the catalytic converter and every time I get in it there's seems to be some dash light that comes on indicating a problem. The car has 75,000 miles on it and is a lot of fun to drive, but I'm not recommending purchasing a Beetle because of the issues it has had. I've written a letter to the headquarters regarding the issues along with receipts from my repairs. Every time I take it to the dealer they want to charge $80+ for diagnostics. I'm at the point now that I'm looking to purchase another vehicle because of the problems I've had.

lemon beetle
By verna portugues on 04/19/09 04:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have spent over $8,000 trying to get my beetle to stop jerking without avail. Now I have to spend another 6,000 to replace the transmission. And I still owe on the car. the beetle is a pretty car but not worth the hassle.

Great car, horrible top
By Todd on 07/30/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I'm a BIG guy and I have all of the comfort of my Chrysler 300. The only issue I've had is with the convertible top. I've had it in 4 times because some cables in the raising and lowering mechanism come off track and get caught up in the whole works and it screws up the top liner. It seems to be fixed, but now it happened to the other side and it pulled more cables loose, part of the interior molding and broke some other pieces that are down inside. I've only had the car for 9 months and have only been putting the top down for 3 of them. It only had 24,000 miles when I got it!

Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf on 07/23/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.