Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My Horror Story
By azuki

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my first car at the age of 18. When I got my Beetle, it had about 72,000 miles on it, and not even 4 months after receiving it, the problems began. Immediately, my transmission died completely. My warranty company gave me a $4,000 check and voided my warranty after seeing the $12,000 repair bill. Then, the battery died. Twice. As did the alternator and air conditioning. My rear window also got stuck and that would have cost me 4 hours of labor fees just to get to the broken bits. It's not like I drove it a lot - over a course of 3 years I didn't even drive 10,000 miles. For the love of god, stay away from this car. It is one problem after another, literally every 3-5 months.

Favorite Features

I will admit, when I wasn't sick of it for not functioning like a normal car, it was fun to drive. Responsive, nimble steering makes it a blast. The outside design is nice - no matter what I will always admire the design of beetles, even if they now make me cringe and want to hide my wallet.

Suggested Improvements

Oh where to begin.. - Fix the god awful transmission issue (something to do with the valve body) - Make it somewhat reliable. I had an average tow rate of 8 times a year - Use a different kind of plastic. Whenever any amount of heat hits the inside plastic, it creates an awful smell that does not go away. No amount of ionization or air fresheners removes it. - Back seats could use a bit more room - Fix engine reliability. 95% of the time my engine light was on, each time for a different problem.

2003 New Beetle Turbo
By iatros

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought our 2003 New Beetle Convertible Turbo with auto 6 speed in June 2003 for my wife's birthday. We had to go to Arlington, TX, to order one of the first to come into the USA. My wife has loved this car! The handling and comfort are great, and she loves to leave the pickemup drivers standing at the lights. We don't drive it much, but one highlight was trip from Huntsville, AL, to Ashville, NC, in October. But I worry a bit. There have been several service issues, including one coil recoil. The latest service, with 57,600 miles, was the appearance of Service Engine light. Dealer wants only $2200 to fix everything!

Favorite Features

Power! Comfortable seating! Convertible (what can I say?)! Handling! Good headlamp illumination at night!

Suggested Improvements

Many small details concerning assembly and engineering, as we have had about a dozen service issues. Expensive to service, i.e. new battery required tow to shop and $229 to replace, burned out headlamp over $100, wiper blades nearly $100. Part of this is due to worsening exchange rate from 03 to present. Part of this is simply exploitation of exotic import.

disposable car
By ruizd

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2003 convertible beetle with 60k. one week after driving it i notice a hard shift, a few days after an oil leak was noticed. I took it a Volkswagen dealer and they did a diagnostic and confirmed what I told them, suggested that I do a transmission fluid check and it could fix the problem I said BS. I had read all the complaints about this car and my mechanic also told me that I should have never bought it, he pointed out the the transmission could not be serviced and all of the hoses are made of plastic that with heat they become brittle and break.. so I took my loss and bought a Honda accord. don't buy this car is disposable. I would never buy a volkswagen again..

Favorite Features

convertible, stereo sound and cd changer

Suggested Improvements

transmissions, aftermarket parts. and stop with the plastic hoses near the engine they break.

Poor build quality and transmission lets it down
By ricochet65

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2003 Convertible, lightly driven with 43000 miles. Transmission failed, due to what now appears to be a known problem with the "valve body". VW support extremely poor. This car looks nice but has been nothing but trouble: windows do not work correctly, have been fixed twice, roof gets stuck and VW fitter wanted $1500 to repair (it took me 10 minutes to snap the loose clip back on and cost nothing - so much for service. Everything is a hassle to repair - battery is over $200, bulbs cannot be replaced easily, airbag light cost $250 to temporarily repair. If you want the beetle style spend the money on a restored air cooled one, from when VW knew how to make serviceable vehicles!

Favorite Features

Retro look

Suggested Improvements

Listen to customers and offer a decent repair and warranty service.

I love my convertible
By CK

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looking for a fun car that's sure to get people's heads turning? The Volkswagen new beetle convertible is it! This is the best car I've ever owned. It is reliable, sturdy, gets great gas mileage. I've had no problems with it. I would highly recommend this car! If you're thinking you see a bunch of bad reviews--try it for yourself, it may surprise you with how great it is. That's what I did, and it was the best choice. Good job Volkswagen!

Favorite Features

Four window roll down, safety features, leather seats, trip tonic transmission, easy to put down convertible top, no blind spots, nice glove box

Suggested Improvements

I wish I could take out the floor mats to clean them, no change storage