2003 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Coil Packs, Coil Packs, Coil Packs.
By Dozier450 on 02/11/09 09:37 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this 2003 Beetle with 39k on 12-31-08 for daughter. I've had to replace three coil packs, the 4th was already replaced when the car was purchased. VW had a problem with issue, but told me this car was not covered under the recall back during 2003. I was also told that I could take this car to the dealer and pay $100.00 to get the codes read and if I keep the receipts and if they ever do recall this issue, then I could send in for a refund. I decided to use the $100.00 code fee and purchase new coil packs. I did buy a code scanner off of eBay for less than $30.00, it reads and clears the Check Engine Light after you make the repair. This car has the 1.8T engine.

A kick to drive, but...
By CAClaire on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car for fun, power & speed, & it delivers . However, there are drawbacks, some which aren't a problem for me (small cupholders), & some that are, especially the lack of sun protection on the side windows. Sunbelt residents beware. A really big disappointment - I just got back from a long trip that revealed APPALLING road noise! Forget using your nifty monsoon sound system unless you crank it up full blast, forget using your cellphone, forget a conversation with your travelling companion at any level lower than shouting. Bad, bad, bad.

Excellent!!
By Al226 on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is amazing! I love it!