2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: I'll never buy another VW

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

I'll never buy another VW
By Piece of JUNK! on

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Where do I start? First major problem was the water pump went out. Son was driving and kept driving when it over heated. Had to get a new engine. Ended up buying a used engine and still cost over $2,000. Water pump went out in that engine. Another $800. Water pump went out again in less than a week. Was replaced for free. Water pump went out a fourth time after 6 months. Was replaced for free. The plastic interior is breaking apart everywhere. The paint on the hood starting chipping the same year I bought it (2006). Doesn't get good gas mileage. I got almost as good gas mileage with my full size truck. Now the transmission fluid is leaking and they want $4000 for a new one.

Power sunroof, heated seats except for the driver's seat hasn't worked in years.

Nobody else can work on it. Have to drive 40 miles to the nearest dealership and cost of repairs are outrageous. VW has made it impossible to make a simple repair. I'm done with it!