Surprised By A Beetle
By Extremely Satisfied on
2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I did a ton of research before settling on this car. I am not disappointed. As soon as it was in my hands, my wife and I took a 1,000 mile trip. We left for a week and brought our two bags, overnight bag, my laptop w/ case, and Christmas presents AND our bedding for a cabin stay over New Year's. It swallowed all of this plus more from my wife's parents. All the while, it got 33mpg hwy. That's 478 miles of range on regular 87 octane. If you can find a TDI, get it. But this is and should be the #2 choice. The 2.0 liter motor is a revver. I never once thought it needed more power. With its full load, it pulled the Grapevine at 72mph easily. It is roomy and comfortable too.
Favorite Features
I love the 16v motor. My old Jetta had the same 2 liter but it had an 8v motor. This Bug really scoots. It feels like there is turbo lag. Once I pass 2500rpm, it really goes! I love the seats. They are firm yet not hard. The handling is great too with its 17" wheels. It zips around corners!
Suggested Improvements
This is an old car, I know. These cupholders are under the dash. A medium sized drink barely fits. I think the newer Bugs have them between the seats. I would like to see the back seat fold 50/50 rather than in one big lump. Other than that, it is a great car. I'll have this a long time.