2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Mixed Feelings

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc on

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

The feel, the speed, the smoothness. Gotta say the heated seats in NH are totally awesome. I really love the car, I'm devastated that it's in the shop. I love driving it but definitely a mechanical mfg issue if my tranny is truly toast after 85K miles.

Fix water pump issues (re-did mine 2 yrs ago); ignition coils are iffy I believe the newer ones had it rectified. Nervous on the transmission at this point, we'll see.