2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: not for short trips

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

not for short trips
By Marla on

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased a diesel specifically so I could run it on biodiesel made from used cooking oil. I was in touch with a good source for an unlimited supply of bio and not sending money overseas to people who don't like America so I was happy until...I had a $2,000 bill to clean the engine due to it being "carboned up". It basically stopped running because it was clogged up with carbon. My driving needs and style are mainly to blame since I take short trips, many not on the highway so the engine doesn't get to warm up and clean out. If I were still commuting 100 miles per day this would be a perfect vehicle but not for the driving I'm doing now. It got 40 MPG and smelled great running bio.

It is comfortable and fun to drive. The backseat folds down to make a good sized cargo area.

The roof comes so far forward or down that at traffic lights I sometimes have to bend down to see the light if I'm first in line.