Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

My Dream Car
By Scott

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Bug for about a month and I absolutley LOVE it! I have wanted one of these cars forever! It has an excellent ride and features. During my first of week of ownership, I had the check engine light come on though. The dealer said it was the spark plugs, no biggie. This car's German engineering is amazing. It handles sooooooo well, that you can hardly feel the corners! What a fantastic car. Volkswagen has made me a customer for life!

Favorite Features

The heated seats, self-diming rearview mirror, switchblade key, red and blue instrumentation, radio, rolling down/up windows with the key, the turbo engine, and rain sensing wipers. Practically everything is my favorite!

Suggested Improvements

I wish the cup holders were not under the radio console. It constricts the size of drink you can bring in the car.

Beetle Turbo S
By captgw2

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Beetle Turbo S for my girlfriend to drive. This replaced a 92 Taurus, so there was no where to go but up! It's been a good car, but has required several trips back to the dealer for warranty issues (emblems peeling, trim falling off, floormat anchors). It's fun to drive and I'd buy another as long as it had a warranty in effect.

Favorite Features

I like the 1.8 Turbo engine with increased hp, awesome sound system, and comfortable leather front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the noisy spoiler, give it better seating in rear, and add a standard CD player / changer.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle
By dumb buyer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have never bought a new car that had so many problems in such a short mileage life, the window fell out in the first month it was purchased. The brake lights went next, then the a/c, it had a hesitation from day one on take off and after 2.5 years the mass air finally failed, there are no turn signals on the dash gauges [intermittant]. The latest is the dealer said the fuel pump failed and they won't replace it because it had bad gas. They want $600+ to fix it and the car is under warranty. I'm a mechanic and I have never seen a electric fuel pump fail because of so called bad fuel, a defective part yes. I got a different VW dealer to agree to repair it.

Too many defects
By mixuone

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Beetle and probably my last VW ever. Don't get me wrong, if VW had acknowledged the defects early enough I would still consider another VW after this lease runs out next year. This Beetle had the sensor problem twice and I even filed a Lemon Law report with the state of Massachusetts. VW miraculously fixed the problem before the Lemon Law deadline even though the part was supposed to be on back order for two months. Now I have a leak and the whole floor is soaked. They tell me that water leaks are not covered even though the dealership acknowledged that there was no way for me to know if the sunroom drain tube was clogged. It is not anywhere in the manual.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo gets horrible reception and a CD player should be standard by now. Please acknowledge defects before people get so frustrated they give up on VW. There is too much info on the Internet these days to hide obvious defects.

Lemon
By JOE

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Where to begin? The EPM warning light in my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle is on 50% of the time. The check engine light on more than off. The car runs when it is turned off. It runs at 40% power when EPM light is on. VW of America slow to respond. Owning this car has been an awful experience.

Favorite Features

Fun car when it runs.