2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Real fun car
By 1.8T-Fan on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This a stunning car. The performance is phenomenal and roadholding is excellent. I bought it as a second car for my wife. I have an 2002 Audi A4 which is also awesome. The A4 has the same engine in it but the gearing in the Beetle is much better so that it is really a pocket rocket. The best thing is that 4 of us fit in the Beetle just as well as in the A4. Definite buy again.

cute but unreliable
By gil on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

owned my GL (auto) for 2 and a half years. It's a fun car to drive. But it constantly has some kind of troubles. First, the cable of the fuel filler has been fixed twice. Now it's broken again. The windshield wipers kept making bad noises even though I had it adjusted/filler changed every time I went to a dealership. I finally solved the problem by changing the whole blade sets with those inexpensive ones from Walmart. Ironically, dealerships could not solve it! Third, engine light was on and signal light did not work once.Last, the engine consumes oil. Worst, the dealerships wouldn't even mention it when you bought the car.

Knockout at 18900
By coastie on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow! Having driven Japanese econo boxes for the last 7 years, I am quite impressed with the Bug 1.8T. I was on a shake down cruise to Reno and paced an Audi A4 all the way over the mountains on I80. It seemed that this car was not going to unwind or unstick from the road!

My Killer Bee Rocks!!!!!
By Robert Rittweger on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my 1.8T GLS New Beetle a couple days ago from a dealership in Dalton Georgia. I Bought the yellow concept which they only made 2000 of. The concept has the ricarro seats they put in the turbo S, yellow and black seats, yellow stiching in the seats and wheel, and yellow wheel inserts.I recentaly blew away a 2002 Boxter while it was trying to pass me, boy they looked suprised. This is a awesome car for the money and would suggest it to anyone looking for a nice car that is sweet,fast,and reliable.

love the new beetle
By holly on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one cute little car. The GLS has more bells and whistles than are necessary (including a bud vase) the 2 litre engine is nice even with the automatic tranny. well built. only flaw was first day of driving, the emissions control light came on and stayed on. the bug was back in the shop for three full days for diagnosis (dead emissions control computer) and fix. kind of put a damper on the new car experience, but just a little bit of driving cured that. power-assisted rack&pinion (easy, but with good road feel) and stops just right with ABS on disc brakes (all wheels). great turning radius, and it's fun!

fun for awhile
By caprice2 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for about a year. After that, expect it to be in the shop about every 6 months to replace the shoddy power window mechanism. You should also beware of the engine light, it's super sensitive. Mine has been on for about a year and the dealer can't figure out why it wont stay off. My AC is now going out and Im trading it in. Can't survive in Texas without an awesome AC. Avoid adding fancy wheels, the brake dust is terrible. The numerous blind spots in all models is really bad.

One Sweet Bug
By Megabug on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was originally looking at a Jetta GLI, but when I saw that my dealership had the Turbo S, I had to test drive it. All I can say is, SOLD! The quality of this car is top notch. VW went out of their way to make this NB solid. The interior styling is superb and the exterior is agressive. The rear could have used an RSI style wing, though. Still, this car screams "class". Driving it's a blast. The acceleration is astounding. Turn off the ESP, though, and take offs are a scream. No lack of power here. This car makes passing easy. The Turbo S is the best car I've ever owned.

Oh Ya! Awesome!
By dnyed on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my Platinum Gray Turbo S for a few months now. I have never loved a car more. The 6-speed, the heated leather seats, Monsoon stereo, 17-inch wheels. Way too much fun. This is a "road trip" car. The headroom is excellent for my 6'4" hubby, he loves it. My first VW, traded '02 Explorer for it. VW from now on!

Piece 'o crap!
By NOT happy in LA, CA on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle brand new with 16 miles on it in November 2001. It is now July 2002. So far, it has had the wheel hub, wheel bearings, brakes, ABS sensor, gasoline cable switch inside the car and clutch readjusted. NOW I'm waiting for new parts for the bad power windows that all the Beetles have. I should have stuck with Toyota. I owned them for 20 years. I'm super bummed. What a terrible purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

WANT to love it
By ReisngD on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really wish that I could write a positive review after a year of ownership, but I can't. Although people still approach it like a celebrity, the car has been extremely unreliable--and I only put 7500 miles on in 12 months so far. The dealership has been cooperative in trying to find the problem, but they cannot. It is not having simple window problems either, rather the engine is barely running or cutting out during acceleration. I have never had a car spend sop much time in the shop. Not even a ten-year-old Civic with 150,000 miles. To those of you still in love-- good luck!!!