Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Real let down!!!
By badbug

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my wife told me she wanted a new beetle I was not to happy with that idea, but I said lets go take a look, 1st mistake. we go and find a really clean dark blue with auto, I was surprised on the room the little car had and the power the 2.0 kicked out. so we buy it 2nd mistake, the warranty still had about 1yr left not 1 problem until warranty runs out then all hell breaks loose 1st thing low fuel light comes on and stays on even with full tank $300, 3wks later air bag light pops on, ok I live with that for about 2 weeks until I have to get the battery replaced might as well fix all $485, 1wk water pump $600 now 5wks later EPC & check eng. light and running like crap afraid of this $$$$

Favorite Features

the fun of SLUG BUG others get when it is not in the shop

Suggested Improvements

discontinue making it.

Biggest POJ on the road!!!
By pflower

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the worst car i have ever owned. i bought it new and have had absolutley nothing but trouble. it was fun to drive when it was running. i have had to replace the battery 5 times, the transmission twice, the entire engine at 60,000. have had at least 15 recalls on it since i bought it. massive electrical failure twice. this has been nothing short of a complete headache. i cringe when i see new ones on the road!!! Dn not let the cute factor sway you, these are absolute pieces of junk!

Favorite Features

the flower vase.

Suggested Improvements

too many to list. i will never buy a VWS again!

Experience of 2002 VW New Beetle Owner
By Dave

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It has had multiple problems: a noisy catalytic converter (a rattle), the electronic door locks and truck opener quit working, and I couldn't even open the gas filler door to put in gas. The real shocker was that the car caught fire as I was driving it! That cost $7,000 to repair. I did not fix it, but instead sold it to a junkyard because the local dealer had a monopoly (no other VW dealers where I live and no one else would work on it) I had some high repair bills. This was supposed to be an "economy" car, but overall the repairs cost me as much as a Hummer to drive. There is no way the fuel economy of the VW could make up for the repair bills.

Favorite Features

At first the car was fun to drive, but the inconvenience in traffic (manual shift) and the unreliability overrode any fun I had driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Either fix the quality issues, or cease subjecting the public to these problems.

Forever in Love or a Great Fit
By B. Donaldson

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new Beetle, I bought one previously in 1973, I had it for fourteen years. When the new Beetle came out I was floored. I was totally, decidedly, definetely in love again. I drive about three hours a day both ways, I'm comfortable. Setting the seat to fit is extremely easy, it still fits me perfectly. The front window is wide, and my other half, who is 6'2", drives it and he's able to set the seat to fit him width and leg length, he had to admit, it had more room then he imagined. The seats are awesome comfortable especially with the built in lumbar back. I'd recommend the new Beetle to any and everyone, thanks for a great ride.

Favorite Features

I like the wide windows, lumbar back cushion in each seat, ability to move seat up and down with ease, handling capability on curves and how it knows when to slow up and ease into a speed up. It's tight and has no outside noise. Last but not least, the flower holder is a great touch. Herbie would be proud.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing i'd like to be able to do is bring it into a VW dealer and have a professional color change, without destroying the original finish.

And I thought it would be nice
By Jennifer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car and initially loved it! That is until two weeks later my ENTIRE computer system went out. No radio, no odometer, nothing. I took it to the dealership they fixed it. Maybe three months after that my windows started to break. They wouldn't roll back up. So once I again I took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Then the computer system went out again. This time I had no alarm and no DOOR LOCKS! Talk about needing to get it rushed in. Nope, I had to wait two weeks to get it fixed. My last problem was the radio. It went into safe mode and the passenger seat belt wouldn't fasten. Sure they fixed it, but it sure is a hassle to get to a dealership and just leave your car for two days. Overall this is a poor quality car.

Favorite Features

I love the speed. It really gets up and goes. I also love my heated seats and sunroof and the functioning spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

Besides better quality, better cupholders, better dealer service, and speedier service. I don't think I'll ever own a Volkswagen again. I'm in the market for a new car now and the Cadillac CTS is looking nice.