2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews 7

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Turbo S
By watson on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great vehicle. Since I no longer can afford a Porsche 911, this provides my driving fun. A superb engine and drive train.

RUN!!! Don't walk away
By Shane-in-FL on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability issues have been prevelant ever since it was reintroduced in '98. The window regulator issue was present from '98- '02 and coilpack failure plagued turbo model cars from '00-'03. I had my car just two weeks when it failed to start after the starter selenoid shorted out. I don't expect such problems from a car that holds a MSRP of $20,900. I suggest people who are considering a Beetle as their next car to closely look at the Acura RSX(~S),Mercedes C230 Coupe, or Mazda 6 just to name a few. The market for used Beetles is HORRIBLE!

Great Reliable Car
By VWfan on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I saw all of the problems others were having and felt compelled to speak up. My experience with this car has been fantastic, a few small problems, but nothing to put the car out of service for more than a day and nothing requiring a tow. The car is fun to drive, has way more leg and head room than any other in its class, and is good on the pocket book. All these people that have problems have failed to mention the standard 4 year 50000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The car is well designed and the company stands behind their product, not sure what else you could ask for.

My dream car is a lemon :(
By Andrea on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I always wanted a bug, and made it a goal to purchase one. I bought this car brand new off the lot with 4 miles on it. After 4 months of bliss, this car became a nightmare. I have had prolems with the oil light, check engine light, airbag light, coolant light, and the malfunction indicator light. It has had the following items replaced: a seatbelt, the faulty window brackets that all the beetles had, the instrument cluster (2 times), all 4 cylinder coils, a piece to the trunk latch system, and last but not least, that car is getting a whole new engine put in it now!!! I am very very very disappointed and have lost faith in Volkswagon. :(

My dream car is a lemon :(
By andrea on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

go bug go
By hotmomma on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

kids love it ...easy to get in and out of the car.

2002 Turbo S
By John Parrish on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely fun to drive. Has been therapy for a hard working professional that enjoys performance in a vehicle and some fuel economy to boot.

turbo S beetle
By wcp on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

great buy for the money.

Volkswagn Turbo S Review
By Claire Henrichs on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely awesome car! Fun to drive. Super fast pickup and excellent performance.

The little stuff gets you
By HIRBY on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is relaible and fun to drive. i bought this car in 2000, drove it brand new off the lot...within a week had it back to the dealership...a month later had it back to the dealship...2 months later had it back to the dealership....4 months later.....you get the picture. I am bummed because I have had the car for 2.5 years now and for the past 6 months I have wanted to get rid of it and get a new car...but I am stuck in a 4 year lease so must drive it for another 1.5 years.