2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
turbo s
By the drake on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my bug. It has been a blast to drive and very reliable.

Do Your Homework
By S Wascak on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Beetle "burns an acceptable" 1 quart of oil a month. Had rings replaced at 30000 miles. I just traded it in on a Toyota at 35000 because in 1 month it went through a quart of oil. We were told that that is common and acceptable for the VW Beetle. That its the way it was designed. Stay away from this vehicle!

Nice but lots of trips to the Dealer
By jpbdds on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Nice car to drive. However, has been to the VW dealer four times in the two months I have owned it. MIL for gas cap. Replace knock sensor. Change rear interior panel to eliminate rattle/squeak. Door lock/interior light problem that is hard to track down - may require several trips to find the problem. Dealer is responsive but it is a hassle to keep going back so often.

Artificially Sweet
By Artificially Sweet on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car unless you love going to the repair shop. My BUG was “Artificially Sweet”. With-in the last five months my old car has been in the shop three times for the same reason– will not start, always some starter problem. VW has decided to build the complete car in Mexico where QA is not the most important thing, but cost is. VW cars are a good example of poor QA. The car has been in the shop about 7 to 8 times for some “BUG” problem with-in the last two years. I just hate coming out of a restaurant, get into my new car and have the car not start. No more little kids seeing my car and playing the “punch game”.

All the little stuff add up.
By Beth Cloud on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a car that is only two years old I expected a lot more. For example, my engine fails every other time I drive it in the morning, I have a continual "cocaine" blinker, the window broke and wouldn't go up, the door clicker only works now on the drivers side, the trunk "blocker" persay just broke off, the clock resets itself everytime the car "stalls" but I have an automatic, the armrest broke off, need I go on? And the worst part of this whole thing is when I go to get all of these fixed, the Volkswagen dealership claims that nothing is wrong with the car. There's a reason why the Volkswagen dealership garage is ALWAYS busy!

VW 2002
By mistyautumn on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, however had a problem with both automatic windows...the clips had to be replaced.

2002 New Beetle GLX Turbo
By Stephanie Ross on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

I was interested in this car because of the retro design and the performance of the turbo engine. It's an eye-turner car; however, I've been having continual problems with this Beetle. With less than 30K miles, I went through two transmissions, new A/C unit, and defective power windows (suddenly fell inside door and broke). I'm not impressed with VW and was really disappointed with this car. It's not reliable and I'm anxious to sell it before the warranty expires!

Turbo S is fun but watch your wallet
By warpalien on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used 02 Turbo S with 3200 miles on it, from a dealer. This used to be a corporate car, used by someone at VW in michigan. VW will NOT cover the transmission under warranty unless I sign a piece of paper saying it's ok to check the transmission for problems. My clutch has been giving me problems since I got the vehicle. Now they say if the clutch is bad, its my problem. So much for a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. This is coming from VW of America's corporate office stating this, not just my dealership.

The Best Car Around
By Ali on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I think it is a great car all around and very fun to drive. Cops never look at it because it is a beetle.

surprising beetle...
By kathryn on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I also always wanted a beetle, and when they returned a few years ago, I couldn't wait to own one! It's adorable, and the test drive was amazing- how it hugged the road. I love the sound of the engine. I bought a black one, and all was well until...a front headlight burned out after owning it for only 3 months?? Next? A light came on indicating that I could not drive without damaging the engine...most recently? The car died- fine one minute, dead the next. It needed a new battery after 18 months?? Oh- and the other headlight burned out. I do still love the beetle. Would I buy another one? No. It's unpredictible.