Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

it's mediocre
By slb805

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I bought the car and initially it ran fine, but over the two years I've owned it, things have begun to break down. The passenger window screeches when I roll it down, it gobbles up oil and gas. I have to put oil in it every 3 wks or so its a rare occasion when the engine light is off. It's an automatic, but the transmission shifts very funky it lurches sometimes and lately has been making weird noises when idling its fun to drive when it puts out but unfortunately that is becoming less and less. It seems like 1/2 the ppl who own a beetle love it & the other 1/2 absolutely hate it! I think I'm growing to be the half that is displeased don't be fooled don't buy the car because its "cute"

flower holder, trunk, hatchback is convenient

Longer visors! And to figure something else out for the cup holders, the way they are the designed is the stupidest design i've ever seen. i have two cup holders in the front, but can only use one b/c the genius that designed it doesn't know how to take measurements.

I still love mine! 2002 Turbo S
By Woodenbee

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my silver Turbo S used in 2005, and I still love walking up to it every day, it's a gorgeous little car. This car is six years old and has its share of dents but still looks awesome, previous owner managed to make sunroof leak (fixed myself with amazing Haynes manual) and misalign drivers door? The doors on these things are really solid so how they did that I don't know? listening to the turbo whistle rocks and the six speed is cool, I have taillight issues on the left, but other than that she goes great. Anyway I've really come to think that VW did reinvent their peoples car, used or new these are cheap and practical car's that anyone smart enough to want one can afford.

Acceleration, I can accelerate out of any situation and it just keeps coming. Looks wise the Turbo S has the nicest styling touches, they are reusing its face in the new '08 base model.

No I wont pick any, they got it just right, I'm just glad I found my Turbo S at a price I could afford.

Perfect for ME!!!
By kmck1083

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car from a dealership in 2005. It had one previous owner, and that was a lease. The car had 28,000 miles from the three years of ownership. I've taken this car on road trips and drive it mostly back and forth for work/school and I LOVE it! I'm an average sized, young female and it fits well. It's easy to drive and shifting is a breeze. No sticky gears or clutch problems.

FUEL ECONOMY!!!! It is amazing that I can drive 50-100 miles and use under a quarter of a tank. I fill up every two weeks. I love the seat warmers and the hatchback is very convenient. When the seats are down, there's quite a bit of space.

Longer sun visors! The barely cover half the window when you move it to the side. The blue dash lights are nice, but when the display lights go out, they are expensive to fix. Oh, and the rear CD changer sucks. Sometimes it doesn't read, and it skips really badly in cold weather. Replace it!

Old New Beetle
By NY VW

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 02 Beetle. It is six years old with 117,000 miles on it. I got it for well under book. It is awesome on gas and so far its a decent car. It is noisy at speed and the cupholders are pretty useless unless you drink small coffees only. Other than that its a cheap ride with a cool feel. Farvegnugen!

Snappy, it is cool to drive a BUG I must admit. Oh and the red and blue dash lights are great too.

Cup holders, cd player, oil burning, noisy, back seat headroom (but it is a compact car after all).

After 5 Years of Ownership
By PJC

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was shopping for a WRX when I spotted the new Reflex Silver New Beetle Sport that had just arrived at the VW/Subaru dealer. Having stepped out of a Lincoln MKVIII, it took some getting used to, but I learned to lov... make that really like the little car. The major disappointments were harsh ride quality; having the driver side window motor suddenly quit (warranty); a short in right rear tail light assembly requiring 5 dealer visits for bulb replacement in 1 1/2 months (warranty, after $80 in repairs); and having a defective "leather" driver seat cover replaced (with another defective one)((Warranty, 1 time only).

Long-legged and stable highway cruising capability, with plenty of passing power. I can drive for 10 hours and not be tired. 57,000 miles and still going on standard Michelin Pilots, with plenty of tread life left. Great winter driver with traction control and ABS. Decent stereo/CD player.

Better quality materials. There's no excuse for a "leather" seat cover to wear through in 3 months, have it replaced with another defective one, then refuse to replace it a second time. Up the speed limit for the automatic sunroof closure from 90 to 100 mph.