2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
My Dream Car
By Scott on 02/03/06 18:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Bug for about a month and I absolutley LOVE it! I have wanted one of these cars forever! It has an excellent ride and features. During my first of week of ownership, I had the check engine light come on though. The dealer said it was the spark plugs, no biggie. This car's German engineering is amazing. It handles sooooooo well, that you can hardly feel the corners! What a fantastic car. Volkswagen has made me a customer for life!

Beetle Turbo S
By captgw2 on 01/02/06 05:30 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Beetle Turbo S for my girlfriend to drive. This replaced a 92 Taurus, so there was no where to go but up! It's been a good car, but has required several trips back to the dealer for warranty issues (emblems peeling, trim falling off, floormat anchors). It's fun to drive and I'd buy another as long as it had a warranty in effect.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle
By dumb buyer on 11/02/05 09:17 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have never bought a new car that had so many problems in such a short mileage life, the window fell out in the first month it was purchased. The brake lights went next, then the a/c, it had a hesitation from day one on take off and after 2.5 years the mass air finally failed, there are no turn signals on the dash gauges [intermittant]. The latest is the dealer said the fuel pump failed and they won't replace it because it had bad gas. They want $600+ to fix it and the car is under warranty. I'm a mechanic and I have never seen a electric fuel pump fail because of so called bad fuel, a defective part yes. I got a different VW dealer to agree to repair it.

Too many defects
By mixuone on 10/25/05 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Beetle and probably my last VW ever. Don't get me wrong, if VW had acknowledged the defects early enough I would still consider another VW after this lease runs out next year. This Beetle had the sensor problem twice and I even filed a Lemon Law report with the state of Massachusetts. VW miraculously fixed the problem before the Lemon Law deadline even though the part was supposed to be on back order for two months. Now I have a leak and the whole floor is soaked. They tell me that water leaks are not covered even though the dealership acknowledged that there was no way for me to know if the sunroom drain tube was clogged. It is not anywhere in the manual.

Lemon
By JOE on 08/20/05 18:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Where to begin? The EPM warning light in my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle is on 50% of the time. The check engine light on more than off. The car runs when it is turned off. It runs at 40% power when EPM light is on. VW of America slow to respond. Owning this car has been an awful experience.

FUN Bug no problems
By Ivan on 08/01/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2002 Beetle Turbo S used with over 30,000 miles on it. I have about 42,000 on it now. Heard about realiability issues but have had none so far. Fun car to drive, sporty, and fast. Comfort is a little weak for 6'1" guy but overall not bad. I have added a sub to stock Monsoon radio and it sounds way better.

Love my bug
By Margaret on 02/18/05 12:06 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Bug in 2002 because the price was right and, after driving an SUV, I wanted a fuel efficient car. It has been a fine car--reliable and trouble free. It's fun to drive and I never get tired of it. I did not get a turbo, but got a 5-speed and it is plenty fast enough for city driving and on the highway. We will keep this car for our children to drive when they get older.

Round 4 a reason
By TEE on 01/22/05 21:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd turbo Beetle, but my 1st turbo S. I love the beetles period!!! My lil car is fun to drive, fun to look at! It draws attention like no other car on the road!!! Owning and driving a new beetle is like having a love affair . . . with a car ! lol

Fun car with personality
By ptuchinda on 11/17/04 18:15 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want personality and style this is the car for you.

My Dream Car!!!
By Daisymae on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my bug!!! I have wanted one for years and have enjoyed every second of driving and owning it. The dealership has been great about fixing anything in a short time with no appointments. It is so fun to drive, handles great especially steering into turns. I traded in a minivan so this is a dream to drive.