Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Turbo S
By watson

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great vehicle. Since I no longer can afford a Porsche 911, this provides my driving fun. A superb engine and drive train.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, and 6-speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

A bit stiffer suspension to keep eliminate a bit of roll in tight turns.

RUN!!! Don't walk away
By Shane-in-FL

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability issues have been prevelant ever since it was reintroduced in '98. The window regulator issue was present from '98- '02 and coilpack failure plagued turbo model cars from '00-'03. I had my car just two weeks when it failed to start after the starter selenoid shorted out. I don't expect such problems from a car that holds a MSRP of $20,900. I suggest people who are considering a Beetle as their next car to closely look at the Acura RSX(~S),Mercedes C230 Coupe, or Mazda 6 just to name a few. The market for used Beetles is HORRIBLE!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, peppiness of the turbo when not experiencing turbo lag, and headroom for exceptionally tall people.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the speed activated spoiler: It scares passengers,the interior needs extensive work.(Boost guage, temperature guage, better dash design, better quality sound system with the Monsoon package, and give the car a much needed exterior facelift.

Great Reliable Car
By VWfan

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I saw all of the problems others were having and felt compelled to speak up. My experience with this car has been fantastic, a few small problems, but nothing to put the car out of service for more than a day and nothing requiring a tow. The car is fun to drive, has way more leg and head room than any other in its class, and is good on the pocket book. All these people that have problems have failed to mention the standard 4 year 50000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The car is well designed and the company stands behind their product, not sure what else you could ask for.

Favorite Features

Great style, ample room for tall folks, fun to drive, makes other people happy as they smile at your car.

Suggested Improvements

The windows are too sensitive and sometime want to roll themselves down when you are trying to put them up, drop the tape player and give me an in dash cassette. Who listens to tapes these days?

My dream car is a lemon :(
By Andrea

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I always wanted a bug, and made it a goal to purchase one. I bought this car brand new off the lot with 4 miles on it. After 4 months of bliss, this car became a nightmare. I have had prolems with the oil light, check engine light, airbag light, coolant light, and the malfunction indicator light. It has had the following items replaced: a seatbelt, the faulty window brackets that all the beetles had, the instrument cluster (2 times), all 4 cylinder coils, a piece to the trunk latch system, and last but not least, that car is getting a whole new engine put in it now!!! I am very very very disappointed and have lost faith in Volkswagon. :(

Favorite Features

The car's look, the turbo, auto spoiler, heated seats and defrosting outside mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe they should start putting Toyota engines in these cars! Power seat option would be nice and cupholders that can fit tall drinks.

My dream car is a lemon :(