Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

All the little stuff add up.
By Beth Cloud

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a car that is only two years old I expected a lot more. For example, my engine fails every other time I drive it in the morning, I have a continual "cocaine" blinker, the window broke and wouldn't go up, the door clicker only works now on the drivers side, the trunk "blocker" persay just broke off, the clock resets itself everytime the car "stalls" but I have an automatic, the armrest broke off, need I go on? And the worst part of this whole thing is when I go to get all of these fixed, the Volkswagen dealership claims that nothing is wrong with the car. There's a reason why the Volkswagen dealership garage is ALWAYS busy!

absolutely love this car. Well I love the turbo kick, the style of the car, the heated butt seat, the size of the car and that's about all I can think of now.

VW 2002
By mistyautumn

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, however had a problem with both automatic windows...the clips had to be replaced.

Compact size of the car/roomy interior.

Had a problem with both automatic windows...needed to be fixed by the dealer. Radio paused before switching stations...ended up installing a different radio.

2002 New Beetle GLX Turbo
By Stephanie Ross

I was interested in this car because of the retro design and the performance of the turbo engine. It's an eye-turner car; however, I've been having continual problems with this Beetle. With less than 30K miles, I went through two transmissions, new A/C unit, and defective power windows (suddenly fell inside door and broke). I'm not impressed with VW and was really disappointed with this car. It's not reliable and I'm anxious to sell it before the warranty expires!

I like the design of the car and the handling around corners...terrific tires!

The turbo has considerable lag. Cup holders have a poor design/location. Transmission is very slow to engage (I'll roll backwards 5-10 feet in drive before it'll engage and go forward). Needs more head room in the back seat for adults & better side mirrors due to terrible blind spots.

Turbo S is fun but watch your wallet
By warpalien

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used 02 Turbo S with 3200 miles on it, from a dealer. This used to be a corporate car, used by someone at VW in michigan. VW will NOT cover the transmission under warranty unless I sign a piece of paper saying it's ok to check the transmission for problems. My clutch has been giving me problems since I got the vehicle. Now they say if the clutch is bad, its my problem. So much for a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. This is coming from VW of America's corporate office stating this, not just my dealership.

It was fun, till everything started falling apart.

Customer Service for VW is AWEFUL unless they can fix it under warranty for next to free.

The Best Car Around
By Ali

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I think it is a great car all around and very fun to drive. Cops never look at it because it is a beetle.

SIX SPEED