Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

turbo s
By the drake

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my bug. It has been a blast to drive and very reliable.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, 6 speed manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest is a whip. I believe the 2005 models have improved on this greatly.

Do Your Homework
By S Wascak

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Beetle "burns an acceptable" 1 quart of oil a month. Had rings replaced at 30000 miles. I just traded it in on a Toyota at 35000 because in 1 month it went through a quart of oil. We were told that that is common and acceptable for the VW Beetle. That its the way it was designed. Stay away from this vehicle!

Nice but lots of trips to the Dealer
By jpbdds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Nice car to drive. However, has been to the VW dealer four times in the two months I have owned it. MIL for gas cap. Replace knock sensor. Change rear interior panel to eliminate rattle/squeak. Door lock/interior light problem that is hard to track down - may require several trips to find the problem. Dealer is responsive but it is a hassle to keep going back so often.

Favorite Features

Leather seats - comfort. Handling. Responsive motor.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet operation of spoiler. Automatic lights responsive to outside lighting. Make center armrest more like convertibles.

Artificially Sweet
By Artificially Sweet

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car unless you love going to the repair shop. My BUG was “Artificially Sweet”. With-in the last five months my old car has been in the shop three times for the same reason– will not start, always some starter problem. VW has decided to build the complete car in Mexico where QA is not the most important thing, but cost is. VW cars are a good example of poor QA. The car has been in the shop about 7 to 8 times for some “BUG” problem with-in the last two years. I just hate coming out of a restaurant, get into my new car and have the car not start. No more little kids seeing my car and playing the “punch game”.

All the little stuff add up.
By Beth Cloud

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a car that is only two years old I expected a lot more. For example, my engine fails every other time I drive it in the morning, I have a continual "cocaine" blinker, the window broke and wouldn't go up, the door clicker only works now on the drivers side, the trunk "blocker" persay just broke off, the clock resets itself everytime the car "stalls" but I have an automatic, the armrest broke off, need I go on? And the worst part of this whole thing is when I go to get all of these fixed, the Volkswagen dealership claims that nothing is wrong with the car. There's a reason why the Volkswagen dealership garage is ALWAYS busy!

Favorite Features

absolutely love this car. Well I love the turbo kick, the style of the car, the heated butt seat, the size of the car and that's about all I can think of now.