2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Squash the bug
By franko on 03/14/02 09:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very very expensive for a car of this low quality. Got rid of it after 25k miles, the single worst quality car I have ever owned. Transmission problems, AC problems, electrical problems, cup holder broke and spilled a slurpee on the floor. First of all it seems that every part of this car is built with the bare minimum of material. And to make it worse seems to have been assembled by kindergarten dropouts. By the way the old ones were not much better but at least they were cheaper. You are better off with a korean car or american car.

Yellow Lemon
By wife of ciscokid on 03/12/02 15:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

THIS CAR IS A PIECE OF JUNK, built in Mexico not Germany My wifes car, but I paid for it and fixed it Expensive - Waited 4 months, and paid ABOVE MSRP Unreliable – Spent more time in service center than on the road. Electrical problems (windows, radio, seat) Overheating/cooling fan short Transmission problems AC problems (not fun in Texas summers) My favorite was broken drivers door handle If you buy a car for Looks not reliability then you deserve this car

Probably the best in its class
By newbie on 03/10/02 00:27 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed more build quality. Overdrive with automatic transmition is annoying

New Beetles ROCK!
By Mindy Dawn on 03/04/02 08:59 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok. So, when I first saw the New Beetle design on the market a few years back... I was first in line kvetching. It is NOTHING like the OLD Beetle. I thought it looked like a Techron car. But, it is not only cute... but a luxury vehicle in disguise. It drives smoothly... has every feature I wanted in a car... and is safe to boot.

Beetle Turbo S (Spicy) :-)
By Siman on 03/03/02 19:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought it today and I drove it around the city with heavy rain. The performance is top notch! Very nice interior and exterior as well. Love the whole Turbo S Package. I got the dealer came down $1K below the sticker price! :-) YIHAA!

My Second New Beetle
By Beetle Turbo S on 03/02/02 18:00 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Turbo S is a much more refined vehicle compared to my previous New Beetle, a 2000 GLX. The car is a blast to drive, just as the other. It does everything smoothly and with ease. I hope, for a change, it gives me a few years of trouble free service.

Retro Bug is a Home Run
By DAVEA on 02/28/02 17:43 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lot's of looks, fun to drive with the turbo and ageless styling.

Worst car ever
By Beetle Driver on 02/28/02 01:17 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in the dealership 12 times in 6 months for stupid things like spark plug wires and everytime it costs at least $400, if you want a car that is cute and reliable get a Japanese car like Honda/Toyota, steer clear of German cars, they are expensive and so is the upkeep. When you average out the costs its about $100-200 a month for repairs alone.

A Guy's Beetle?
By Mtman on 02/12/02 16:08 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a new red VW Beetle Turbo S recently and am very happy with it. I previously shied away from the new Beetle due to its image as a "chick" car, and its lack of power. When I test-drove the Turbo S, however, my mind was changed. Clearly, VW is trying to appeal to the male driver and they just might succeed with this car. It's quick, agile, and holds the road well even in sharp corners. I'm planning a few performance mods, but even stock this new VW is very entertaining.