2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I love it!
By Lauren on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got this car for my birthday and I love it! It is the most reliable and it is so cute! Well I love it and... It is a great car!

Don't buy a '99 Beetle
By kymm costa on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from the 1999 Beetle. In a span of 4 months this 3 year old car has been in the shop 9 times. The dealer told me that I am "not an exception to the rule" when it comes to this year and model. The following are the problems consistant with other model problems: window mechanisms, front seat handles, break light switch to get out of park, engine light over- sensitivity, trunk not sealing appropriately, radio/cassette replacement. I have also had issues with door handles (actually getting out of the car)and door lock mechanisms. Additionally I have had to replace the entire engine. I do not recommend this car at all. Although fun to drive, not worth the headache.

Wow - It's more than just a car!
By TrappedOnEarth on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has personality. It is a sheer delight to drive. Style, comfort, and power, it has it all and more! Handles well. Great engineering. It appears bigger on the inside than one would guess from the outside. Very safe as well. A real car for the new millennium!

My Silver Beetle
By Janice H on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Beetle and so do my grandkids!!

2nd Beetle!
By reflexpdx on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Loved my first one so much I had to get another!

Almost 1 year with not a single problem
By sailflorida on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still love it after 10 months. Have still not found anything wrong with this car. I have looked since day one for build defects and found none. As a perfectionist it has given pride. I am however waiting for window problems because I hear alot of complaining about it but so far OK. I am sorry my warranty is the old 24 month one because I hear bad stories of dealer charges (and ineptness) where I live. I am hundreds of miles from selling dealer and that is a bummer.

New Beetle "Fun to Drive"
By JPick on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Although not a Turbo..has enough power to get you where your going. Very comfortable and dependable. Overall quality...excellent. We owned several bugs..no comparison. New Beetle drives and handles like a big car. Wonderful Volkswagen reliability..need I say more.

Blast to drive, and a looker too
By neonneon23 on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I took a couple of friends to test drive a new beetle turbo S. It was nothing short of a great time. The turbo spooled up quickly, and left us longing for more. Since a salesman didn't join us, we were really able to drive this car. Favorite part was the performance from the beetle. Ergonomically, the rear seats are useless, however they do fold down for ample storage. Also, it bothered me that the car was all but silent. Small pet peeve that may bother performance enthusiasts. Worth a test drive, so take one, or two or three....

Very poorly built.
By Regretful on 03/15/02 15:31 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a 2000 GLS model for 2 years and the entire time, I've constantly had trouble with it starting. I've had to replace numerous sensors. The window tracking for the power windows has broken on the passenger's side. The driver's window NEVER goes up completely on the first try, which has resulted in the switch breaking. It cost $40 to replace a headlight because VW built the car so that consumers are unable to change it themselves. Every time I take it to the dealership, I never come out spending less than $300. This car is made to keep your pockets empty. I believe corners were cut when building these cars to supply enough for the demand.

Horrible, simply horrible
By admiral on 03/14/02 16:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is very uncomfortable and slow compared to what I want.