2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
this car will bug you
By mtunic on 04/25/13 16:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this car has 60k I has had the water pump go out smog pump out air bag out the only thing not to go out is the check engine light now the transmission 1&2 shift fork is broke plus 3 set of ignition modules. I have never seen such poor excuse for a car ever 6ok and all this vw should be ashamed to sell a car like this the Yugo seems to be a better choice!!!!!!

What a Dissappointment
By RDFreier on 03/18/10 08:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had problems with the car from the start. Engine would just shut off while driving 60 mph on the highway. Wife had many close calls with that until they found the problem in the programming. Then car leaked water into the floor of the back seat. VW said it was the sunroof drain. After over $2k in repair charges problem still not fixed. Battery died, car sat a little and leak filled the floor. I've got bad mold smell, VW can't fix leak and I've basically got a junk car as I can't afford to replace the interior. What a piece of Crap. Should have listened to my little voice that said VW has reliability problems. Don't buy a VW

problematic
By fedup on 01/06/10 11:39 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had it with my stupid car. I've had the windows stop working (they fixed that for free after realizing how many others were going bad)/ my sunroof leaked into my car when it rained (fixed that--not for free)/ sunroof opens on it's own sometimes, for no reason/ spoiler gets stuck in the up position/ airbag light on, again/ hazard lights and turn signals stopped working (had to get the hazard switch replaced)/ engine light on, one issue fixed another arises 2 weeks later/ my ac stopped working, a fuse melted....MELTED/thermostat replaced and yet another coolant flush (after just a year of having it done)/and so much more. What a headache. I hate Volkswagen!

timing belt
By Pete Poindextrer on 07/18/09 06:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased our bug about 11 months ago. We immediately had to replace the AC condenser but later found out that it was the electrical box to the AC. The mechanic said that this was common for this car. We had the timing belt break and it destroyed most of the engine. VW states that the timing belt should last 1005,00 miles. Ours broke at 86,000. This cost us $2600.

Mostly Good
By Heatherdear on 04/18/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For the most part, my Beetle was a good car. It was small, easy to park, fun to drive, and got fairly good gas mileage. However, it seemed like every 4-5 months it had to go to the shop to get worke on because something went wrong. I went to the Post Office once and when I went to leave, the brake sensor went out so the car wouldn't recognize that I had my foot on the brake so I couldn't take the car out of park. It had to get the coils on several cylinders replaced multiple times. There were other issues as well but I still enjoyed the car. I can honestly say that in a bad accident, the has great safety features, providing miniscule injuries.

I will not own another volkswagen
By bhill on 12/19/08 18:19 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my car since I have had it. Since 05 I have had to have the transmission replaced and some kind of sensor replace because it wouldn't come out of park. (that was the only two things that was under warranty) then the timing belt broke which bent the valves in the head so I had to replace them the turbo went out water pump sensor the timing belt again oh and the sun roof leaked when i first got it. And I have had to replace the headlights several times. And my current problems are the brake lights, blinkers and it doesn't want to come out of park again and an oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. And by the way, it is hard to find anyone to work on them.

And I thought it would be nice
By Jennifer on 07/16/06 06:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car and initially loved it! That is until two weeks later my ENTIRE computer system went out. No radio, no odometer, nothing. I took it to the dealership they fixed it. Maybe three months after that my windows started to break. They wouldn't roll back up. So once I again I took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Then the computer system went out again. This time I had no alarm and no DOOR LOCKS! Talk about needing to get it rushed in. Nope, I had to wait two weeks to get it fixed. My last problem was the radio. It went into safe mode and the passenger seat belt wouldn't fasten. Sure they fixed it, but it sure is a hassle to get to a dealership and just leave your car for two days. Overall this is a poor quality car.

FUN Bug no problems
By Ivan on 08/01/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2002 Beetle Turbo S used with over 30,000 miles on it. I have about 42,000 on it now. Heard about realiability issues but have had none so far. Fun car to drive, sporty, and fast. Comfort is a little weak for 6'1" guy but overall not bad. I have added a sub to stock Monsoon radio and it sounds way better.

Round 4 a reason
By TEE on 01/22/05 21:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd turbo Beetle, but my 1st turbo S. I love the beetles period!!! My lil car is fun to drive, fun to look at! It draws attention like no other car on the road!!! Owning and driving a new beetle is like having a love affair . . . with a car ! lol

turbo s
By the drake on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my bug. It has been a blast to drive and very reliable.