Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

this car will bug you
By mtunic

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this car has 60k I has had the water pump go out smog pump out air bag out the only thing not to go out is the check engine light now the transmission 1&2 shift fork is broke plus 3 set of ignition modules. I have never seen such poor excuse for a car ever 6ok and all this vw should be ashamed to sell a car like this the Yugo seems to be a better choice!!!!!!

What a Dissappointment
By RDFreier

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had problems with the car from the start. Engine would just shut off while driving 60 mph on the highway. Wife had many close calls with that until they found the problem in the programming. Then car leaked water into the floor of the back seat. VW said it was the sunroof drain. After over $2k in repair charges problem still not fixed. Battery died, car sat a little and leak filled the floor. I've got bad mold smell, VW can't fix leak and I've basically got a junk car as I can't afford to replace the interior. What a piece of Crap. Should have listened to my little voice that said VW has reliability problems. Don't buy a VW

Great acceleration and handling with it works as intended.

Quit trying to make the car more complicated with programming crap and just fix your quality control issues. Repair costs are out of this world. I'm done with any VW product.

problematic
By fedup

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had it with my stupid car. I've had the windows stop working (they fixed that for free after realizing how many others were going bad)/ my sunroof leaked into my car when it rained (fixed that--not for free)/ sunroof opens on it's own sometimes, for no reason/ spoiler gets stuck in the up position/ airbag light on, again/ hazard lights and turn signals stopped working (had to get the hazard switch replaced)/ engine light on, one issue fixed another arises 2 weeks later/ my ac stopped working, a fuse melted....MELTED/thermostat replaced and yet another coolant flush (after just a year of having it done)/and so much more. What a headache. I hate Volkswagen!

Everything about how it runs and operates: EVERYTHING, switches, windows, sunroof, lights, just Everything really.

timing belt
By Pete Poindextrer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased our bug about 11 months ago. We immediately had to replace the AC condenser but later found out that it was the electrical box to the AC. The mechanic said that this was common for this car. We had the timing belt break and it destroyed most of the engine. VW states that the timing belt should last 1005,00 miles. Ours broke at 86,000. This cost us $2600.

Mostly Good
By Heatherdear

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For the most part, my Beetle was a good car. It was small, easy to park, fun to drive, and got fairly good gas mileage. However, it seemed like every 4-5 months it had to go to the shop to get worke on because something went wrong. I went to the Post Office once and when I went to leave, the brake sensor went out so the car wouldn't recognize that I had my foot on the brake so I couldn't take the car out of park. It had to get the coils on several cylinders replaced multiple times. There were other issues as well but I still enjoyed the car. I can honestly say that in a bad accident, the has great safety features, providing miniscule injuries.

I really liked the flower vase because it was a neat thing to have. I liked that they brought the Beetle back, that it was small, and that it handled very well. I liked that it was automatic and it seemed to have a lot of character.

I believe that Volkswagen could have worked a little harder to make the car a little more reliable and have fewer problems. Also, making the interior a different color would be beneficial as children and tan seats and carpet are not a good combination.