Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I still love mine! 2002 Turbo S
By Woodenbee

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my silver Turbo S used in 2005, and I still love walking up to it every day, it's a gorgeous little car. This car is six years old and has its share of dents but still looks awesome, previous owner managed to make sunroof leak (fixed myself with amazing Haynes manual) and misalign drivers door? The doors on these things are really solid so how they did that I don't know? listening to the turbo whistle rocks and the six speed is cool, I have taillight issues on the left, but other than that she goes great. Anyway I've really come to think that VW did reinvent their peoples car, used or new these are cheap and practical car's that anyone smart enough to want one can afford.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, I can accelerate out of any situation and it just keeps coming. Looks wise the Turbo S has the nicest styling touches, they are reusing its face in the new '08 base model.

Suggested Improvements

No I wont pick any, they got it just right, I'm just glad I found my Turbo S at a price I could afford.

Not too many bugs in this bug
By phoebelyn

Overall a good car. Have had 2 occasions that it needed towing - mostly electrical problems. Handles well in rain and snow (Buffalo type!).

Favorite Features

I like the whole package. Like the fact that rear folds down. This car can hold quite a bit!

Suggested Improvements

Manual override on door locks. Better electrical performance on door locks. Extenders on "blinders" to block out more sun.

My former dream car
By Scott

I wrote a review titled "my dream car" about a month and a half ago. Ignore it! I sold this vehicle last week because of the multitude of problems. I had it in the shop 17 times in 10 weeks. You read that right, 17 times in 10 weeks. I litterly had the car 4 days a week because the dealer had it the rest of the time. I am now $1,162.16 in debt just from fixing the car and I am 19 years old. It was my worst nightmare. I replaced 2 ignition coils, the alignment went out 3 times, spark plugs, window cables, oil changes, O2 sensors that "a squirrel ate" through. Oh and VW did not cover it because it was not a defect in the car. Just for the sensor it was $320.00!

Favorite Features

Well when I had the vehicle in my possesion, I liked the Turbo. At the end of my ownership, I hated everything about it and I hated driving it!

Suggested Improvements

To any one who thinks about buing this car, DONT!!! I was naive and bought this car believing that all of the reviews I read were all nonsense. I felt like moving into the car dealer since I was there so much! VW, stand behind your products and put your money wear your mouth is!

My Dream Car
By Scott

I have had my Bug for about a month and I absolutley LOVE it! I have wanted one of these cars forever! It has an excellent ride and features. During my first of week of ownership, I had the check engine light come on though. The dealer said it was the spark plugs, no biggie. This car's German engineering is amazing. It handles sooooooo well, that you can hardly feel the corners! What a fantastic car. Volkswagen has made me a customer for life!

Favorite Features

The heated seats, self-diming rearview mirror, switchblade key, red and blue instrumentation, radio, rolling down/up windows with the key, the turbo engine, and rain sensing wipers. Practically everything is my favorite!

Suggested Improvements

I wish the cup holders were not under the radio console. It constricts the size of drink you can bring in the car.

All the little stuff add up.
By Beth Cloud

For a car that is only two years old I expected a lot more. For example, my engine fails every other time I drive it in the morning, I have a continual "cocaine" blinker, the window broke and wouldn't go up, the door clicker only works now on the drivers side, the trunk "blocker" persay just broke off, the clock resets itself everytime the car "stalls" but I have an automatic, the armrest broke off, need I go on? And the worst part of this whole thing is when I go to get all of these fixed, the Volkswagen dealership claims that nothing is wrong with the car. There's a reason why the Volkswagen dealership garage is ALWAYS busy!

Favorite Features

absolutely love this car. Well I love the turbo kick, the style of the car, the heated butt seat, the size of the car and that's about all I can think of now.