2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I still love mine! 2002 Turbo S
By Woodenbee on 05/16/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my silver Turbo S used in 2005, and I still love walking up to it every day, it's a gorgeous little car. This car is six years old and has its share of dents but still looks awesome, previous owner managed to make sunroof leak (fixed myself with amazing Haynes manual) and misalign drivers door? The doors on these things are really solid so how they did that I don't know? listening to the turbo whistle rocks and the six speed is cool, I have taillight issues on the left, but other than that she goes great. Anyway I've really come to think that VW did reinvent their peoples car, used or new these are cheap and practical car's that anyone smart enough to want one can afford.

Not too many bugs in this bug
By phoebelyn on 08/15/07 10:59 AM (PDT)

Overall a good car. Have had 2 occasions that it needed towing - mostly electrical problems. Handles well in rain and snow (Buffalo type!).

My former dream car
By Scott on 04/05/06 10:09 AM (PDT)

I wrote a review titled "my dream car" about a month and a half ago. Ignore it! I sold this vehicle last week because of the multitude of problems. I had it in the shop 17 times in 10 weeks. You read that right, 17 times in 10 weeks. I litterly had the car 4 days a week because the dealer had it the rest of the time. I am now $1,162.16 in debt just from fixing the car and I am 19 years old. It was my worst nightmare. I replaced 2 ignition coils, the alignment went out 3 times, spark plugs, window cables, oil changes, O2 sensors that "a squirrel ate" through. Oh and VW did not cover it because it was not a defect in the car. Just for the sensor it was $320.00!

My Dream Car
By Scott on 02/03/06 18:07 PM (PST)

I have had my Bug for about a month and I absolutley LOVE it! I have wanted one of these cars forever! It has an excellent ride and features. During my first of week of ownership, I had the check engine light come on though. The dealer said it was the spark plugs, no biggie. This car's German engineering is amazing. It handles sooooooo well, that you can hardly feel the corners! What a fantastic car. Volkswagen has made me a customer for life!

All the little stuff add up.
By Beth Cloud on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

For a car that is only two years old I expected a lot more. For example, my engine fails every other time I drive it in the morning, I have a continual "cocaine" blinker, the window broke and wouldn't go up, the door clicker only works now on the drivers side, the trunk "blocker" persay just broke off, the clock resets itself everytime the car "stalls" but I have an automatic, the armrest broke off, need I go on? And the worst part of this whole thing is when I go to get all of these fixed, the Volkswagen dealership claims that nothing is wrong with the car. There's a reason why the Volkswagen dealership garage is ALWAYS busy!

2002 New Beetle GLX Turbo
By Stephanie Ross on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

I was interested in this car because of the retro design and the performance of the turbo engine. It's an eye-turner car; however, I've been having continual problems with this Beetle. With less than 30K miles, I went through two transmissions, new A/C unit, and defective power windows (suddenly fell inside door and broke). I'm not impressed with VW and was really disappointed with this car. It's not reliable and I'm anxious to sell it before the warranty expires!

My dream car is a lemon :(
By andrea on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I always wanted a bug, and made it a goal to purchase one. I bought this car brand new off the lot with 4 miles on it. After 4 months of bliss, this car became a nightmare. I have had prolems with the oil light, check engine light, airbag light, coolant light, and the malfunction indicator light. It has had the following items replaced: a seatbelt, the faulty window brackets that all the beetles had, the instrument cluster (2 times), all 4 cylinder coils, a piece to the trunk latch system, and last but not least, that car is getting a whole new engine put in it now!!! I am very very very disappointed and have lost faith in Volkswagon. :(

My dream car is a lemon :(
By Andrea on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Beetlemania
By thegretsch@aol.com on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great,no problems except brake dust on rave rims. gets dirty fast I'm trading it in for the convertible...

Zoom Zoom!!!
By Evan Weiner on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car is great. it has wonderful turbo power. mine did 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. there is a straight away across the street from where i live. thsi car is very luxurious and fun. the premium sound system rocks. its just a great car!