Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

If Only I Knew
By LoveHateVW

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 99K miles, previous owner took exceptional care of it. As had happened with my previous VW though (2000 Jetta), stuff started going wrong with the car shortly over the 100K mark. While understandable with a high-mileage car, the small things in the design of this vehicle were what surprised me, negatively. Shoddy plastic parts often broke down, such as the hatch release and center console. The sunroof is also a water hazard, but I hear VW has issued a recall on that. Love driving this VW, but hate owning. Water pump, oil pan, timing belt, starter, and window reliability are some things to look out for. Keep this in mind if you are even thinking VW.

Favorite Features

Love the pep in this car, the great design for the back seat fold-down, converting it into a high-capacity cargo hatchback, and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Don't skimp on the mechanical parts, making them plastic as opposed to metal. Hatch release, sunroof, electrical systems, windows, etc etc. Many little problems can make one huge problem: owning and maintaining this car.

Surprised By A Beetle
By Extremely Satisfied

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I did a ton of research before settling on this car. I am not disappointed. As soon as it was in my hands, my wife and I took a 1,000 mile trip. We left for a week and brought our two bags, overnight bag, my laptop w/ case, and Christmas presents AND our bedding for a cabin stay over New Year's. It swallowed all of this plus more from my wife's parents. All the while, it got 33mpg hwy. That's 478 miles of range on regular 87 octane. If you can find a TDI, get it. But this is and should be the #2 choice. The 2.0 liter motor is a revver. I never once thought it needed more power. With its full load, it pulled the Grapevine at 72mph easily. It is roomy and comfortable too.

Favorite Features

I love the 16v motor. My old Jetta had the same 2 liter but it had an 8v motor. This Bug really scoots. It feels like there is turbo lag. Once I pass 2500rpm, it really goes! I love the seats. They are firm yet not hard. The handling is great too with its 17" wheels. It zips around corners!

Suggested Improvements

This is an old car, I know. These cupholders are under the dash. A medium sized drink barely fits. I think the newer Bugs have them between the seats. I would like to see the back seat fold 50/50 rather than in one big lump. Other than that, it is a great car. I'll have this a long time.

Great and Horrible
By ChasYoshi

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car and immediately loved the way it drove and the gas mileage. After a year or so, the paint began to chip off of the hood from road debris. Then the whole paint job on the front of the car started to fade from the sun. After that, it just went downhill. I put to water pumps on it and replaced a head gasket. The driver's side window only rolls up when it's wet or when I push it up as I'm pushing the switch. When it rains, water leaks into the back seat and the trunk. The airbag light is on continuously. The volume control on the Monsoon radio will only turn up if you hold it a certain way. The high-beams have stopped working altogether. I just sold it today...

Favorite Features

Wheels, handling, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

To many to mention...

I LOVED this car, just too small...
By Nicolle

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely adored this car. She was gun-metal grey and I named her Judy, after Judy Jettson. Also lovingly called her the bubble-mobile because EVERYTHING inside is round or rounded. Super fun to drive, very reliable, very comfortable. But it did some weird stuff, as do all my vehicles. The overheat light kept coming on, even when I'd first start it up. Then it would go off. Then come back on. Eventually I was driving on the highway and it severely overheated, melted the head gasket and there was anti-freeze in the oil. Ridiculous. I had thought the light was malfunctioning, not the cooling system. Only complaint about it is that any time something went wrong, it was EXPENSIVE to fix!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, heated seats, everything was automatic, fully loaded car w/sunroof, awesome! Cute and fun, easy to drive, VW has some really cool features in their cars, highly recommended if you can afford it when they break.

Suggested Improvements

Really, VW engineering is amazing. I would say make the warranty longer and cover more. Like 100,000 instead of 50,000. Fuel door actuator broke, as well as driver's side indicator telling the car that the door was open, so it would lock after 1 minute if you didn't start it. Annoying!

Piece of Junk!!
By Karen Cole

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lemon!Threw a rod yesterday Always kept up with oilchanges. From the day we bought this car NEW we have had trouble with it ranging from front axles,water pump,seat belt sensors, transmission sensors, etc. Have been towed 4 times. Thousands spent on repairs.Now we have o replace the motor. Call customer care all they ever give is a canned answer Sorry you feel that way. They don't care about their consumers. Their no corrosion warranty means nothing unless it actually rust through. That makes no sense!!!

Favorite Features

NONE!!!!