2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc on 03/30/11 19:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

LOVE THIS CAR!
By Melina on 04/15/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

The VW Beetle was my dream car, and I finally was able to find one, which I purchased used from a dealership. There is the possibility of some electrical issues, but I keep it well maintained and absolutely adore it. I still just like looking at it, and driving it every day. Repairs can be costly, again the key here is maintenance. I get compliments on my car almost daily. Cup holders inadequate, as are the sun visors, but other than that I really can't complain.

Biggest POJ on the road!!!
By pflower on 08/07/07 18:33 PM (PDT)

This is the worst car i have ever owned. i bought it new and have had absolutley nothing but trouble. it was fun to drive when it was running. i have had to replace the battery 5 times, the transmission twice, the entire engine at 60,000. have had at least 15 recalls on it since i bought it. massive electrical failure twice. this has been nothing short of a complete headache. i cringe when i see new ones on the road!!! Dn not let the cute factor sway you, these are absolute pieces of junk!

Do Your Homework
By S Wascak on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

The Beetle "burns an acceptable" 1 quart of oil a month. Had rings replaced at 30000 miles. I just traded it in on a Toyota at 35000 because in 1 month it went through a quart of oil. We were told that that is common and acceptable for the VW Beetle. That its the way it was designed. Stay away from this vehicle!

My Killer Bee Rocks!!!!!
By Robert Rittweger on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I purchased my 1.8T GLS New Beetle a couple days ago from a dealership in Dalton Georgia. I Bought the yellow concept which they only made 2000 of. The concept has the ricarro seats they put in the turbo S, yellow and black seats, yellow stiching in the seats and wheel, and yellow wheel inserts.I recentaly blew away a 2002 Boxter while it was trying to pass me, boy they looked suprised. This is a awesome car for the money and would suggest it to anyone looking for a nice car that is sweet,fast,and reliable.

So I bought another!
By SilverBlur on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is my second New Beetle (I bought a 98 when they first came out). What a great car! Between the two (and there's not much difference beyond the engine) I have driven it from Washington to Los Angeles, from Florida to Nova Scotia, and 92,000 miles beyond. The New Beetle is par none one of the most comfy around-town and cross- country small cars. None of the aching back and butt you usually get after a few hours on the road. Well-placed controls, a full-size spare, and a Monsoon sound system make for an all around great experience.

Almost 1 year with not a single problem
By sailflorida on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Still love it after 10 months. Have still not found anything wrong with this car. I have looked since day one for build defects and found none. As a perfectionist it has given pride. I am however waiting for window problems because I hear alot of complaining about it but so far OK. I am sorry my warranty is the old 24 month one because I hear bad stories of dealer charges (and ineptness) where I live. I am hundreds of miles from selling dealer and that is a bummer.

Retro Bug is a Home Run
By DAVEA on 02/28/02 17:43 PM (PST)

Lot's of looks, fun to drive with the turbo and ageless styling.