Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

The feel, the speed, the smoothness. Gotta say the heated seats in NH are totally awesome. I really love the car, I'm devastated that it's in the shop. I love driving it but definitely a mechanical mfg issue if my tranny is truly toast after 85K miles.

Fix water pump issues (re-did mine 2 yrs ago); ignition coils are iffy I believe the newer ones had it rectified. Nervous on the transmission at this point, we'll see.

LOVE THIS CAR!
By Melina

The VW Beetle was my dream car, and I finally was able to find one, which I purchased used from a dealership. There is the possibility of some electrical issues, but I keep it well maintained and absolutely adore it. I still just like looking at it, and driving it every day. Repairs can be costly, again the key here is maintenance. I get compliments on my car almost daily. Cup holders inadequate, as are the sun visors, but other than that I really can't complain.

Color-Marlin Blue Pearl, which was a limited edition color. I love the turbo engine which really zooms, and the gas mileage is fabulous. The car is roomier than you would expect, loads of great features.

Larger cup holders and sun visors.

Biggest POJ on the road!!!
By pflower

This is the worst car i have ever owned. i bought it new and have had absolutley nothing but trouble. it was fun to drive when it was running. i have had to replace the battery 5 times, the transmission twice, the entire engine at 60,000. have had at least 15 recalls on it since i bought it. massive electrical failure twice. this has been nothing short of a complete headache. i cringe when i see new ones on the road!!! Dn not let the cute factor sway you, these are absolute pieces of junk!

the flower vase.

too many to list. i will never buy a VWS again!

Do Your Homework
By S Wascak

The Beetle "burns an acceptable" 1
quart of oil a month. Had rings
replaced at 30000 miles. I just traded
it in on a Toyota at 35000 because in 1
month it went through a quart of oil.
We were told that that is common and
acceptable for the VW Beetle. That its
the way it was designed. Stay away from
this vehicle!

My Killer Bee Rocks!!!!!
By Robert Rittweger

I purchased my 1.8T GLS New Beetle a
couple days ago from a dealership in
Dalton Georgia. I Bought the yellow
concept which they only made 2000 of.
The concept has the ricarro seats they
put in the turbo S, yellow and black
seats, yellow stiching in the seats and
wheel, and yellow wheel inserts.I
recentaly blew away a 2002 Boxter while
it was trying to pass me, boy they
looked suprised. This is a awesome car
for the money and would suggest it to
anyone looking for a nice car that is
sweet,fast,and reliable.

The 1.8T TURBO kicks, the torque is awesome, fast reliable and a real eye catcher,the concepts are a collector edition,can smoke people in their tea sipping Porshes , its a volkswagon, you look cool in it, and its nicknamed the "KILLER BEE" (the concept yellow GLS).

Nothing, except more drivers need to be in these cars.