2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Our yellow nightmare
By themrfreeze on 04/02/10 12:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new. It was okay at first, but the thing started falling apart after a few years. Numerous electrical problems, gauge cluster failure, constant problems with rear brakes seizing. Paint failed in places, and running boards underneath doors get dented easily. Stuff was coming loose and dangling underneath car. Due to its design, this car is very difficult to work on, and some parts are poorly designed due to the car's shape. We unloaded it before it hit 50k miles.

Old New Beetle
By NY VW on 03/07/08 13:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 02 Beetle. It is six years old with 117,000 miles on it. I got it for well under book. It is awesome on gas and so far its a decent car. It is noisy at speed and the cupholders are pretty useless unless you drink small coffees only. Other than that its a cheap ride with a cool feel. Farvegnugen!

Experience of 2002 VW New Beetle Owner
By Dave on 12/23/06 07:39 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It has had multiple problems: a noisy catalytic converter (a rattle), the electronic door locks and truck opener quit working, and I couldn't even open the gas filler door to put in gas. The real shocker was that the car caught fire as I was driving it! That cost $7,000 to repair. I did not fix it, but instead sold it to a junkyard because the local dealer had a monopoly (no other VW dealers where I live and no one else would work on it) I had some high repair bills. This was supposed to be an "economy" car, but overall the repairs cost me as much as a Hummer to drive. There is no way the fuel economy of the VW could make up for the repair bills.

Fun car with personality
By ptuchinda on 11/17/04 18:15 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want personality and style this is the car for you.

surprising beetle...
By kathryn on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I also always wanted a beetle, and when they returned a few years ago, I couldn't wait to own one! It's adorable, and the test drive was amazing- how it hugged the road. I love the sound of the engine. I bought a black one, and all was well until...a front headlight burned out after owning it for only 3 months?? Next? A light came on indicating that I could not drive without damaging the engine...most recently? The car died- fine one minute, dead the next. It needed a new battery after 18 months?? Oh- and the other headlight burned out. I do still love the beetle. Would I buy another one? No. It's unpredictible.

cute but unreliable
By gil on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

owned my GL (auto) for 2 and a half years. It's a fun car to drive. But it constantly has some kind of troubles. First, the cable of the fuel filler has been fixed twice. Now it's broken again. The windshield wipers kept making bad noises even though I had it adjusted/filler changed every time I went to a dealership. I finally solved the problem by changing the whole blade sets with those inexpensive ones from Walmart. Ironically, dealerships could not solve it! Third, engine light was on and signal light did not work once.Last, the engine consumes oil. Worst, the dealerships wouldn't even mention it when you bought the car.

fun for awhile
By caprice2 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for about a year. After that, expect it to be in the shop about every 6 months to replace the shoddy power window mechanism. You should also beware of the engine light, it's super sensitive. Mine has been on for about a year and the dealer can't figure out why it wont stay off. My AC is now going out and Im trading it in. Can't survive in Texas without an awesome AC. Avoid adding fancy wheels, the brake dust is terrible. The numerous blind spots in all models is really bad.

Piece 'o crap!
By NOT happy in LA, CA on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle brand new with 16 miles on it in November 2001. It is now July 2002. So far, it has had the wheel hub, wheel bearings, brakes, ABS sensor, gasoline cable switch inside the car and clutch readjusted. NOW I'm waiting for new parts for the bad power windows that all the Beetles have. I should have stuck with Toyota. I owned them for 20 years. I'm super bummed. What a terrible purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the 'Little Things"
By AngiMen on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this in the end of 2000. Although I find it adorable, this model still needs a little 'tweaking'. I have had problems with the windows (passanger side broke), fuel tank lid, ignition, radio/cassette, oil is used up fairly rapidly and the oil sensor never went on. Will be taking it in for an 'oil consumption test'to see what is up. If it werent for the little 'glitches' this car would be perfect! Its just the little things. I'd still buy another one, but a Turbo.

Great car. Fund to drive.
By fredric on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with this car, and mine is actually a 2000 beetle and I have 30,000 miles on it. There was one recall for a feul sensor, but they fixed this within 24 hours. The only thing that would make me change cars is hybrid technology. Great, responsible, fun car.