Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

More Reliable than my Bmw, Benz, Range Rover
By Cp

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Beetle is so cheap to operate it makes it worth keeping. I was a car dealer that mostly bought high end European vehicles and they all had issues. Ding, and another message would appear with an expensive issue. After leaving the business, I rented a friend's 2002 Beetle GL with 112,700 miles for $150 a month until I financed a Benz or Bimmer, that never happened. I bought it for $1,000, replaced the timing belt and waterpump. $10 gets 100+ miles, oil changes are $22, tires are $53, I now have 160,000 miles. It's so easy to clean, and the yellow paint is bright and holds up well. Interior plastics break, there's rattles, it's slow, but who cares it gets me everywhere and barely costs me a dime. I baby it to death, wax it, only run chevron but no premium gas and I don't use synthetic but will now cause I want to just keep it going.

Our yellow nightmare
By themrfreeze

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new. It was okay at first, but the thing started falling apart after a few years. Numerous electrical problems, gauge cluster failure, constant problems with rear brakes seizing. Paint failed in places, and running boards underneath doors get dented easily. Stuff was coming loose and dangling underneath car. Due to its design, this car is very difficult to work on, and some parts are poorly designed due to the car's shape. We unloaded it before it hit 50k miles.

Unique styling, fun to drive, comfortable, roomy interior.

Get Honda to design the mechanical, and you'd have a great car.

Old New Beetle
By NY VW

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 02 Beetle. It is six years old with 117,000 miles on it. I got it for well under book. It is awesome on gas and so far its a decent car. It is noisy at speed and the cupholders are pretty useless unless you drink small coffees only. Other than that its a cheap ride with a cool feel. Farvegnugen!

Snappy, it is cool to drive a BUG I must admit. Oh and the red and blue dash lights are great too.

Cup holders, cd player, oil burning, noisy, back seat headroom (but it is a compact car after all).

Experience of 2002 VW New Beetle Owner
By Dave

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It has had multiple problems: a noisy catalytic converter (a rattle), the electronic door locks and truck opener quit working, and I couldn't even open the gas filler door to put in gas. The real shocker was that the car caught fire as I was driving it! That cost $7,000 to repair. I did not fix it, but instead sold it to a junkyard because the local dealer had a monopoly (no other VW dealers where I live and no one else would work on it) I had some high repair bills. This was supposed to be an "economy" car, but overall the repairs cost me as much as a Hummer to drive. There is no way the fuel economy of the VW could make up for the repair bills.

At first the car was fun to drive, but the inconvenience in traffic (manual shift) and the unreliability overrode any fun I had driving it.

Either fix the quality issues, or cease subjecting the public to these problems.

Fun car with personality
By ptuchinda

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want personality and style this is the car for you.

Style will look good for another 10 years, head room