2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
After 5 Years of Ownership
By PJC on 12/04/07 07:11 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was shopping for a WRX when I spotted the new Reflex Silver New Beetle Sport that had just arrived at the VW/Subaru dealer. Having stepped out of a Lincoln MKVIII, it took some getting used to, but I learned to lov... make that really like the little car. The major disappointments were harsh ride quality; having the driver side window motor suddenly quit (warranty); a short in right rear tail light assembly requiring 5 dealer visits for bulb replacement in 1 1/2 months (warranty, after $80 in repairs); and having a defective "leather" driver seat cover replaced (with another defective one)((Warranty, 1 time only).

Beetle Turbo S
By captgw2 on 01/02/06 05:30 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Beetle Turbo S for my girlfriend to drive. This replaced a 92 Taurus, so there was no where to go but up! It's been a good car, but has required several trips back to the dealer for warranty issues (emblems peeling, trim falling off, floormat anchors). It's fun to drive and I'd buy another as long as it had a warranty in effect.

Too many defects
By mixuone on 10/25/05 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Beetle and probably my last VW ever. Don't get me wrong, if VW had acknowledged the defects early enough I would still consider another VW after this lease runs out next year. This Beetle had the sensor problem twice and I even filed a Lemon Law report with the state of Massachusetts. VW miraculously fixed the problem before the Lemon Law deadline even though the part was supposed to be on back order for two months. Now I have a leak and the whole floor is soaked. They tell me that water leaks are not covered even though the dealership acknowledged that there was no way for me to know if the sunroom drain tube was clogged. It is not anywhere in the manual.

My Dream Car!!!
By Daisymae on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my bug!!! I have wanted one for years and have enjoyed every second of driving and owning it. The dealership has been great about fixing anything in a short time with no appointments. It is so fun to drive, handles great especially steering into turns. I traded in a minivan so this is a dream to drive.

RUN!!! Don't walk away
By Shane-in-FL on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability issues have been prevelant ever since it was reintroduced in '98. The window regulator issue was present from '98- '02 and coilpack failure plagued turbo model cars from '00-'03. I had my car just two weeks when it failed to start after the starter selenoid shorted out. I don't expect such problems from a car that holds a MSRP of $20,900. I suggest people who are considering a Beetle as their next car to closely look at the Acura RSX(~S),Mercedes C230 Coupe, or Mazda 6 just to name a few. The market for used Beetles is HORRIBLE!

go bug go
By hotmomma on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

kids love it ...easy to get in and out of the car.

Knockout at 18900
By coastie on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow! Having driven Japanese econo boxes for the last 7 years, I am quite impressed with the Bug 1.8T. I was on a shake down cruise to Reno and paced an Audi A4 all the way over the mountains on I80. It seemed that this car was not going to unwind or unstick from the road!

WANT to love it
By ReisngD on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really wish that I could write a positive review after a year of ownership, but I can't. Although people still approach it like a celebrity, the car has been extremely unreliable--and I only put 7500 miles on in 12 months so far. The dealership has been cooperative in trying to find the problem, but they cannot. It is not having simple window problems either, rather the engine is barely running or cutting out during acceleration. I have never had a car spend sop much time in the shop. Not even a ten-year-old Civic with 150,000 miles. To those of you still in love-- good luck!!!

Horrible, simply horrible
By admiral on 03/14/02 16:47 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is very uncomfortable and slow compared to what I want.