Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

After 5 Years of Ownership
By PJC

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was shopping for a WRX when I spotted the new Reflex Silver New Beetle Sport that had just arrived at the VW/Subaru dealer. Having stepped out of a Lincoln MKVIII, it took some getting used to, but I learned to lov... make that really like the little car. The major disappointments were harsh ride quality; having the driver side window motor suddenly quit (warranty); a short in right rear tail light assembly requiring 5 dealer visits for bulb replacement in 1 1/2 months (warranty, after $80 in repairs); and having a defective "leather" driver seat cover replaced (with another defective one)((Warranty, 1 time only).

Long-legged and stable highway cruising capability, with plenty of passing power. I can drive for 10 hours and not be tired. 57,000 miles and still going on standard Michelin Pilots, with plenty of tread life left. Great winter driver with traction control and ABS. Decent stereo/CD player.

Better quality materials. There's no excuse for a "leather" seat cover to wear through in 3 months, have it replaced with another defective one, then refuse to replace it a second time. Up the speed limit for the automatic sunroof closure from 90 to 100 mph.

Beetle Turbo S
By captgw2

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Beetle Turbo S for my girlfriend to drive. This replaced a 92 Taurus, so there was no where to go but up! It's been a good car, but has required several trips back to the dealer for warranty issues (emblems peeling, trim falling off, floormat anchors). It's fun to drive and I'd buy another as long as it had a warranty in effect.

I like the 1.8 Turbo engine with increased hp, awesome sound system, and comfortable leather front seats.

Improve the noisy spoiler, give it better seating in rear, and add a standard CD player / changer.

Too many defects
By mixuone

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Beetle and probably my last VW ever. Don't get me wrong, if VW had acknowledged the defects early enough I would still consider another VW after this lease runs out next year. This Beetle had the sensor problem twice and I even filed a Lemon Law report with the state of Massachusetts. VW miraculously fixed the problem before the Lemon Law deadline even though the part was supposed to be on back order for two months. Now I have a leak and the whole floor is soaked. They tell me that water leaks are not covered even though the dealership acknowledged that there was no way for me to know if the sunroom drain tube was clogged. It is not anywhere in the manual.

The turbo engine.

The stereo gets horrible reception and a CD player should be standard by now. Please acknowledge defects before people get so frustrated they give up on VW. There is too much info on the Internet these days to hide obvious defects.

My Dream Car!!!
By Daisymae

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my bug!!! I have wanted one for years and have enjoyed every second of driving and owning it. The dealership has been great about fixing anything in a short time with no appointments. It is so fun to drive, handles great especially steering into turns. I traded in a minivan so this is a dream to drive.

Sport package with leather black and color accents. Stiff steering and awesome acceleration.

In dash cd player, more functional cup holders.

RUN!!! Don't walk away
By Shane-in-FL

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability issues have been prevelant ever since it was reintroduced in '98. The window regulator issue was present from '98- '02 and coilpack failure plagued turbo model cars from '00-'03. I had my car just two weeks when it failed to start after the starter selenoid shorted out. I don't expect such problems from a car that holds a MSRP of $20,900. I suggest people who are considering a Beetle as their next car to closely look at the Acura RSX(~S),Mercedes C230 Coupe, or Mazda 6 just to name a few. The market for used Beetles is HORRIBLE!

Heated seats, peppiness of the turbo when not experiencing turbo lag, and headroom for exceptionally tall people.

Ditch the speed activated spoiler: It scares passengers,the interior needs extensive work.(Boost guage, temperature guage, better dash design, better quality sound system with the Monsoon package, and give the car a much needed exterior facelift.