2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
If Only I Knew
By LoveHateVW on 05/26/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 99K miles, previous owner took exceptional care of it. As had happened with my previous VW though (2000 Jetta), stuff started going wrong with the car shortly over the 100K mark. While understandable with a high-mileage car, the small things in the design of this vehicle were what surprised me, negatively. Shoddy plastic parts often broke down, such as the hatch release and center console. The sunroof is also a water hazard, but I hear VW has issued a recall on that. Love driving this VW, but hate owning. Water pump, oil pan, timing belt, starter, and window reliability are some things to look out for. Keep this in mind if you are even thinking VW.

Surprised By A Beetle
By Extremely Satisfied on 01/07/10 08:23 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I did a ton of research before settling on this car. I am not disappointed. As soon as it was in my hands, my wife and I took a 1,000 mile trip. We left for a week and brought our two bags, overnight bag, my laptop w/ case, and Christmas presents AND our bedding for a cabin stay over New Year's. It swallowed all of this plus more from my wife's parents. All the while, it got 33mpg hwy. That's 478 miles of range on regular 87 octane. If you can find a TDI, get it. But this is and should be the #2 choice. The 2.0 liter motor is a revver. I never once thought it needed more power. With its full load, it pulled the Grapevine at 72mph easily. It is roomy and comfortable too.

Great and Horrible
By ChasYoshi on 08/21/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car and immediately loved the way it drove and the gas mileage. After a year or so, the paint began to chip off of the hood from road debris. Then the whole paint job on the front of the car started to fade from the sun. After that, it just went downhill. I put to water pumps on it and replaced a head gasket. The driver's side window only rolls up when it's wet or when I push it up as I'm pushing the switch. When it rains, water leaks into the back seat and the trunk. The airbag light is on continuously. The volume control on the Monsoon radio will only turn up if you hold it a certain way. The high-beams have stopped working altogether. I just sold it today...

I LOVED this car, just too small...
By Nicolle on 07/29/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely adored this car. She was gun-metal grey and I named her Judy, after Judy Jettson. Also lovingly called her the bubble-mobile because EVERYTHING inside is round or rounded. Super fun to drive, very reliable, very comfortable. But it did some weird stuff, as do all my vehicles. The overheat light kept coming on, even when I'd first start it up. Then it would go off. Then come back on. Eventually I was driving on the highway and it severely overheated, melted the head gasket and there was anti-freeze in the oil. Ridiculous. I had thought the light was malfunctioning, not the cooling system. Only complaint about it is that any time something went wrong, it was EXPENSIVE to fix!

Piece of Junk!!
By Karen Cole on 07/13/09 08:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lemon!Threw a rod yesterday Always kept up with oilchanges. From the day we bought this car NEW we have had trouble with it ranging from front axles,water pump,seat belt sensors, transmission sensors, etc. Have been towed 4 times. Thousands spent on repairs.Now we have o replace the motor. Call customer care all they ever give is a canned answer Sorry you feel that way. They don't care about their consumers. Their no corrosion warranty means nothing unless it actually rust through. That makes no sense!!!

Paid too much
By ABD on 07/01/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Beetle GLS 2.0 Bought in July 08 trying to sell in July 09. My son paid $7,900.00 he put 10M miles (96M miles) on it and is trying to sell it for $4995.00. Had to fix driver side power window. Cat went bad VW has 10yr extended warr. Replace brake cables. New tires. 6 disc change went out replaced it. Replace seat buckle to get the air bag light off. Orig key and remote didn't come with car son bought one $200.00. Quick lube shop stripped drain plug. They paid $400.00 to replace oil pan. Now they mechanic says it should have timing belt and water pump replaced. What a money pit. I own 2 toyotas and you change oil and tires when needed and they just keep running. Wouldn't buy VW or Audi

it's mediocre
By slb805 on 08/14/08 14:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I bought the car and initially it ran fine, but over the two years I've owned it, things have begun to break down. The passenger window screeches when I roll it down, it gobbles up oil and gas. I have to put oil in it every 3 wks or so its a rare occasion when the engine light is off. It's an automatic, but the transmission shifts very funky it lurches sometimes and lately has been making weird noises when idling its fun to drive when it puts out but unfortunately that is becoming less and less. It seems like 1/2 the ppl who own a beetle love it & the other 1/2 absolutely hate it! I think I'm growing to be the half that is displeased don't be fooled don't buy the car because its "cute"

Perfect for ME!!!
By kmck1083 on 04/21/08 11:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car from a dealership in 2005. It had one previous owner, and that was a lease. The car had 28,000 miles from the three years of ownership. I've taken this car on road trips and drive it mostly back and forth for work/school and I LOVE it! I'm an average sized, young female and it fits well. It's easy to drive and shifting is a breeze. No sticky gears or clutch problems.

Real let down!!!
By badbug on 08/13/07 18:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my wife told me she wanted a new beetle I was not to happy with that idea, but I said lets go take a look, 1st mistake. we go and find a really clean dark blue with auto, I was surprised on the room the little car had and the power the 2.0 kicked out. so we buy it 2nd mistake, the warranty still had about 1yr left not 1 problem until warranty runs out then all hell breaks loose 1st thing low fuel light comes on and stays on even with full tank $300, 3wks later air bag light pops on, ok I live with that for about 2 weeks until I have to get the battery replaced might as well fix all $485, 1wk water pump $600 now 5wks later EPC & check eng. light and running like crap afraid of this $$$$

Forever in Love or a Great Fit
By B. Donaldson on 09/03/06 20:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new Beetle, I bought one previously in 1973, I had it for fourteen years. When the new Beetle came out I was floored. I was totally, decidedly, definetely in love again. I drive about three hours a day both ways, I'm comfortable. Setting the seat to fit is extremely easy, it still fits me perfectly. The front window is wide, and my other half, who is 6'2", drives it and he's able to set the seat to fit him width and leg length, he had to admit, it had more room then he imagined. The seats are awesome comfortable especially with the built in lumbar back. I'd recommend the new Beetle to any and everyone, thanks for a great ride.