Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Our yellow nightmare
By themrfreeze

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new. It was okay at first, but the thing started falling apart after a few years. Numerous electrical problems, gauge cluster failure, constant problems with rear brakes seizing. Paint failed in places, and running boards underneath doors get dented easily. Stuff was coming loose and dangling underneath car. Due to its design, this car is very difficult to work on, and some parts are poorly designed due to the car's shape. We unloaded it before it hit 50k miles.

Unique styling, fun to drive, comfortable, roomy interior.

Get Honda to design the mechanical, and you'd have a great car.

Old New Beetle
By NY VW

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 02 Beetle. It is six years old with 117,000 miles on it. I got it for well under book. It is awesome on gas and so far its a decent car. It is noisy at speed and the cupholders are pretty useless unless you drink small coffees only. Other than that its a cheap ride with a cool feel. Farvegnugen!

Snappy, it is cool to drive a BUG I must admit. Oh and the red and blue dash lights are great too.

Cup holders, cd player, oil burning, noisy, back seat headroom (but it is a compact car after all).

Experience of 2002 VW New Beetle Owner
By Dave

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It has had multiple problems: a noisy catalytic converter (a rattle), the electronic door locks and truck opener quit working, and I couldn't even open the gas filler door to put in gas. The real shocker was that the car caught fire as I was driving it! That cost $7,000 to repair. I did not fix it, but instead sold it to a junkyard because the local dealer had a monopoly (no other VW dealers where I live and no one else would work on it) I had some high repair bills. This was supposed to be an "economy" car, but overall the repairs cost me as much as a Hummer to drive. There is no way the fuel economy of the VW could make up for the repair bills.

At first the car was fun to drive, but the inconvenience in traffic (manual shift) and the unreliability overrode any fun I had driving it.

Either fix the quality issues, or cease subjecting the public to these problems.

Fun car with personality
By ptuchinda

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want personality and style this is the car for you.

Style will look good for another 10 years, head room

surprising beetle...
By kathryn

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I also always wanted a beetle, and when they returned a few years ago, I couldn't wait to own one! It's adorable, and the test drive was amazing- how it hugged the road. I love the sound of the engine. I bought a black one, and all was well until...a front headlight burned out after owning it for only 3 months?? Next? A light came on indicating that I could not drive without damaging the engine...most recently? The car died- fine one minute, dead the next. It needed a new battery after 18 months?? Oh- and the other headlight burned out. I do still love the beetle. Would I buy another one? No. It's unpredictible.

Both the interior and exterior are fantastic. I smile when I see a Beetle on the road!!

Those cup holders are awful!