Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

this car will bug you
By mtunic

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this car has 60k I has had the water pump go out smog pump out air bag out the only thing not to go out is the check engine light now the transmission 1&2 shift fork is broke plus 3 set of ignition modules. I have never seen such poor excuse for a car ever 6ok and all this vw should be ashamed to sell a car like this the Yugo seems to be a better choice!!!!!!

Bad Bug
By pwlowe61

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I guess the review will not help individuals who have already bought the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The car was a snap orange and have a good overall appearence. This car sat in the shop 19 of the first 24 months of ownership. I couldn't keep the electronics,transmission, turbo and anything else working. The last 2 years and $2300.00 of maintenance cost finally sealed its fate. 1100 for Timing belt change,450 for door latch which shut the car down in the middle of a 4 lane highway. 600 for alternator and whatever else it needed. I would run away from this car and I will never own a VW again. They look good, but are expensive to maintain.

Think Twice
By dtown73

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It looked great on the lot. I did my due diligence and had the car checked out prior to purchase - where they found a rear-main leak, bad CV Boot, and some other minor items. All-in-All it seemed like a great vehicle for my teenage daughter. The car was a nightmare - ELECTRICAL problems. I had read that on Edmunds - but ignored it. The ECM was replaced 3 times. My daughter was stranded 6 times over 11 months. Thank GOD i purchased an extended warranty (1yr/12,000miles) for $1,100 (the premium warranty) - which covered (ready for this) $4,652.27 in repairs. Please Think Twice before throwing good money after bad. Traded it yesterday for a 2012 Nissan Versa... never again VW.

leather, sporty look, had Audi features (key rolled down windows from outside) sun-roof.

this is supposed to be a vehicle that is affordable - it's easily $500 per trip into the dealership or a specialty shop.

Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

The feel, the speed, the smoothness. Gotta say the heated seats in NH are totally awesome. I really love the car, I'm devastated that it's in the shop. I love driving it but definitely a mechanical mfg issue if my tranny is truly toast after 85K miles.

Fix water pump issues (re-did mine 2 yrs ago); ignition coils are iffy I believe the newer ones had it rectified. Nervous on the transmission at this point, we'll see.

Broken Dreams
By ashellris

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When VW re-released the Beetle in '98, I had found my dream car. I was 15 at the time, about to get my license and sent away to VW for an information packet that I used in a presentation for my parents in hopes of receiving one. Needless to say; it didn't happen- Until 2005 when I purchased a used 2002 VW Beetle. I purchased the car for $15k and have since put at least $8k into it (Not including maintenance). The check engine light is always on, and repairs are never ending and expensive. I was able to get almost 400 mi per tank when I bought it; now I get just under 300 mi. This has nothing to do with neglect, this was my dream car. Be prepared for expensive repairs with any VW.

Bud Vase, Outside Temperature Gauge, Deep Dashboard, Seats, Leg Room, Monsoon Sound System, Head Room, Handles Well, Surprisingly Good in Slippery Road Conditions (ie: Snow, but not too deep)

A more reliable vehicle, less expensive parts and labor, better placed oil pan (not so low to the ground)