2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Fun little car with great mpg
By mishka1012 on 07/28/12 11:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for couple month now and I drive everywhere on it. Even though mine was rebuilt from the ground up after an accident not shown on carfax and it was rebuilt from junk and old parts and silicone glue it holding up marvelously. I mostly drive everything it got out of this little car and let me say it's not just faster than most four cylinders on the road. It beats some v6's because it's stik and it only got 100hp! But I still manage to get 45 mpg consistently, never got less but once got 55 mpg on biodiesel and light driving style (speed limit and slow acceleration tryoing to stay in 5th gear at all speeds (even 30 mph)+ rolling down the hill). the rest sucks alot.

I want more TDI's!!!!!
By Kyle on 06/26/09 07:47 AM (PDT)

We bough this car with 92K on it. It had some minor damage to exterior but love that Gecko Green!!! I have 180K currently on it and have had the following problems: 1. Alternator - $900.00 2. Undercarraige Protector fell off. Did not replace. 3. Serpentim Belt Pulley - $500.00 Not bad for the abuse I put this car through.

obvious VW cheaped out on lots of things
By indy photog on 04/07/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

When it works, it's great. Problem is, there are always small things going wrong. Car is well cared for with regular Mx as per the service manual. Electrical issues have been the worst...no history of flood damage or anything similar. Have been through three brake lights and two crunched driver side windows (all pre recall of course, good luck getting $ back from VW). Wheel bearing replaced, airbag light permanently on, trunk latch issues, and now...the car won't reverse. All sorts of other little annoying things too numerous to mention.

not for short trips
By Marla on 03/27/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

I purchased a diesel specifically so I could run it on biodiesel made from used cooking oil. I was in touch with a good source for an unlimited supply of bio and not sending money overseas to people who don't like America so I was happy until...I had a $2,000 bill to clean the engine due to it being "carboned up". It basically stopped running because it was clogged up with carbon. My driving needs and style are mainly to blame since I take short trips, many not on the highway so the engine doesn't get to warm up and clean out. If I were still commuting 100 miles per day this would be a perfect vehicle but not for the driving I'm doing now. It got 40 MPG and smelled great running bio.

238000 miles
By Rose on 11/04/08 21:39 PM (PST)

To all the skeptics: sit down and read this! 238,000 miles on my TDI Beetle. No major engine issues. Serviced regularly: oil change every 6k; 20k/40k's; 60k's timing belt. Tire rotation every 5-8k on the best Mich. Destiny's. 3 complaints: seats are not made for comfort, what's up with the head light lenses falling out:replaced 5 times and rear seat is not for passengers with legs. Had to put her to rest this week. A ford driver with bald tires had a blow out on the mountain, swerved to miss her, slammed into guard rail. Saved a life, yet totaled my new beetle. Gonna miss her. If you have in-laws or pals that say you should sell your TDI...DON'T LISTEN!..There just jealous of your mpg!

Few problems-overall largely pleased
By az owner on 04/17/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

Bought with 88K miles--probably paid too much, but was pressed for time for a move and new job. Purchased knowing would have long daily commute & weekend travel home--excellent mileage on freeway driving, 'tween 46-50 mpg. In town usually around 38-40. Very keen on quick acceleration. Yes, some frustration with electrical, e.g. persistent glow plug light was annoying, but fixable at low price. Sunroof fun and climate control okay. With back seat down good storage capacity. Sound system good, but put in XM receiver and sold off original system at purchase. Very satisfied all in all-but several of the complaints here have some validity in my view.

Go Diesel
By 02 White Diesel on 10/22/07 16:35 PM (PDT)

Purchased new. Average mileage has been 40, mix of highway & city driving. Have had problems with headlights burning out. Had to replace the horns. Have had to replace several brake light switches. Trans. won't shift if defective. So far engine & trans OK. Low fuel light is on all the time. $600.00 to repair. I'll live with it. Overall, I love the car. Good mileage, easy on tires and easy to do my own oil changes. We'll see how long the engine/trans last. Diesel should go 250,000 miles easily. I'm using Stanadine Fuel Additive.

Design flaw & auto trans went out at 50K
By Not so good on 08/09/07 11:01 AM (PDT)

The major design flaw in this car is that your hood will get chipped from flying rocks from normal traffic. Buy a bra on day 1 if you buy this car to avoid the body shop. Also the space for your gas pedal foot is too small for an male adult sized winter boot. Also if you have sun coming from the driver side, the visor is too small to block the light. My automatic tranny went out while under warranty (less than 50K) and would have cost more than twice what my 91 Dodge Dynasty automatic tranny that went out on the car before this one.

Love my TDI
By LUV It... on 05/20/07 10:17 AM (PDT)

I just recently bought a 2002 TDI. It was very hard to find a diesel. After several months finding one that I wanted and was willing to trade in my Chevy "gas guzzler" Tahoe, I purchased my Beetle. Since owning it, I have done nothing but enjoy the ride and the gas price. It is nice to have a vehicle that gets great gas mileage. I just got 34 mpg in the city. I would recommend a diesel beetle to anyone. The noise is minimal and well worth it. If you really can't stand the diesel noise, which is a lot quieter than the trucks, crank up the radio.

Diesel
By tom on 04/04/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

Only problem I have had is replacing the timing belt twice @ 40K & 67K. VW is not responding quickly on this one. They were proactive in the brake light recall, & that was fixed (it worked fine on mine) w/ no problem.