Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Most Helpful|
obvious VW cheaped out on lots of things
By indy photog

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

When it works, it's great. Problem is, there are always small things going wrong. Car is well cared for with regular Mx as per the service manual. Electrical issues have been the worst...no history of flood damage or anything similar. Have been through three brake lights and two crunched driver side windows (all pre recall of course, good luck getting $ back from VW). Wheel bearing replaced, airbag light permanently on, trunk latch issues, and now...the car won't reverse. All sorts of other little annoying things too numerous to mention.

Favorite Features

handles well, automatic trans in the diesel knocks mileage down to mid 30's with mixed city/hwy driving, but still not bad.

Suggested Improvements

charge another 1K for the car and put quality parts and workmanship into it instead of ruining your rep for quality for a few extra percent profit.

Fun little car with great mpg
By mishka1012

I've had this car for couple month now and I drive everywhere on it. Even though mine was rebuilt from the ground up after an accident not shown on carfax and it was rebuilt from junk and old parts and silicone glue it holding up marvelously. I mostly drive everything it got out of this little car and let me say it's not just faster than most four cylinders on the road. It beats some v6's because it's stik and it only got 100hp! But I still manage to get 45 mpg consistently, never got less but once got 55 mpg on biodiesel and light driving style (speed limit and slow acceleration tryoing to stay in 5th gear at all speeds (even 30 mph)+ rolling down the hill). the rest sucks alot.

Favorite Features

Mpg, reliability, stick shift, suspension, decent preformance for a 4 cylinder, TDI, verry roomy interior for the front people, looked verry cool on the road. Aero dynamic stays on the ground at 100+mph. Whenever I floor it I get a smoke screen behind me lol. Super cheap to drive literally more than twice the savings comparing to gas cars and supposedly runs verry long miles.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plasticks break everywhere, sensors go out alot gave up on replacing them. Tdi takes a few minutes to warm up, wrong wheel derive i'd love this car in rear wheel drive. Exterior bumpers rip appart upon lightest impact, have to get driver side mirror helper, big blind spot, suckish stereo.

I want more TDI's!!!!!
By Kyle

We bough this car with 92K on it. It had some minor damage to exterior but love that Gecko Green!!! I have 180K currently on it and have had the following problems: 1. Alternator - $900.00 2. Undercarraige Protector fell off. Did not replace. 3. Serpentim Belt Pulley - $500.00 Not bad for the abuse I put this car through.

Favorite Features

Color, Style, Handling, Torque Power!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the cloth seats altogether!!! I have cream and they will not come clean. More leg room for backseats!

238000 miles
By Rose

To all the skeptics: sit down and read this! 238,000 miles on my TDI Beetle. No major engine issues. Serviced regularly: oil change every 6k; 20k/40k's; 60k's timing belt. Tire rotation every 5-8k on the best Mich. Destiny's. 3 complaints: seats are not made for comfort, what's up with the head light lenses falling out:replaced 5 times and rear seat is not for passengers with legs. Had to put her to rest this week. A ford driver with bald tires had a blow out on the mountain, swerved to miss her, slammed into guard rail. Saved a life, yet totaled my new beetle. Gonna miss her. If you have in-laws or pals that say you should sell your TDI...DON'T LISTEN!..There just jealous of your mpg!

Favorite Features

VaVaVoom! No slug bugs here folks. TDI rules! Eat my fumes as I blow by you. If you wanna race, you'll lose... sorry if you bought a gas engine, you're cute and all but have the fuel economy of the average American car... long live the TDI! Love the cargo space when you remove the rear seat! WOW!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the adhesiveness of your head lamp gasket and it may not fall out! Seriously, recall that item already. Redesign on the headlamp is needed.

not for short trips
By Marla

I purchased a diesel specifically so I could run it on biodiesel made from used cooking oil. I was in touch with a good source for an unlimited supply of bio and not sending money overseas to people who don't like America so I was happy until...I had a $2,000 bill to clean the engine due to it being "carboned up". It basically stopped running because it was clogged up with carbon. My driving needs and style are mainly to blame since I take short trips, many not on the highway so the engine doesn't get to warm up and clean out. If I were still commuting 100 miles per day this would be a perfect vehicle but not for the driving I'm doing now. It got 40 MPG and smelled great running bio.

Favorite Features

It is comfortable and fun to drive. The backseat folds down to make a good sized cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

The roof comes so far forward or down that at traffic lights I sometimes have to bend down to see the light if I'm first in line.