2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
this car will bug you
By mtunic on 04/25/13 16:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this car has 60k I has had the water pump go out smog pump out air bag out the only thing not to go out is the check engine light now the transmission 1&2 shift fork is broke plus 3 set of ignition modules. I have never seen such poor excuse for a car ever 6ok and all this vw should be ashamed to sell a car like this the Yugo seems to be a better choice!!!!!!

Bad Bug
By pwlowe61 on 01/01/13 07:18 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I guess the review will not help individuals who have already bought the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The car was a snap orange and have a good overall appearence. This car sat in the shop 19 of the first 24 months of ownership. I couldn't keep the electronics,transmission, turbo and anything else working. The last 2 years and $2300.00 of maintenance cost finally sealed its fate. 1100 for Timing belt change,450 for door latch which shut the car down in the middle of a 4 lane highway. 600 for alternator and whatever else it needed. I would run away from this car and I will never own a VW again. They look good, but are expensive to maintain.

Fun little car with great mpg
By mishka1012 on 07/28/12 11:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for couple month now and I drive everywhere on it. Even though mine was rebuilt from the ground up after an accident not shown on carfax and it was rebuilt from junk and old parts and silicone glue it holding up marvelously. I mostly drive everything it got out of this little car and let me say it's not just faster than most four cylinders on the road. It beats some v6's because it's stik and it only got 100hp! But I still manage to get 45 mpg consistently, never got less but once got 55 mpg on biodiesel and light driving style (speed limit and slow acceleration tryoing to stay in 5th gear at all speeds (even 30 mph)+ rolling down the hill). the rest sucks alot.

Think Twice
By dtown73 on 07/22/12 21:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It looked great on the lot. I did my due diligence and had the car checked out prior to purchase - where they found a rear-main leak, bad CV Boot, and some other minor items. All-in-All it seemed like a great vehicle for my teenage daughter. The car was a nightmare - ELECTRICAL problems. I had read that on Edmunds - but ignored it. The ECM was replaced 3 times. My daughter was stranded 6 times over 11 months. Thank GOD i purchased an extended warranty (1yr/12,000miles) for $1,100 (the premium warranty) - which covered (ready for this) $4,652.27 in repairs. Please Think Twice before throwing good money after bad. Traded it yesterday for a 2012 Nissan Versa... never again VW.

Up In Flames!
By diannr on 07/23/11 08:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Bought our 2002 TDI in December for our daughter. Two weeks later we discovered it had a messed up transmission. Counting on fuel savings over the next 5 years, we spent $3500 to have the transmission rebuilt. There were alot of rattles in the interior but we planned to address those after recovering from the trani. expense. Last weekend the brakes failed while parking, proceeded to smoke from the rear then caught on fire! A total loss for us however the salvage yard is scoring a good engine. Apparently firewalls work from both directions. I would not recommend this car!!

Mixed Feelings
By eeyoremc on 03/30/11 19:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car used from the VW dealer in Manchester NH. Started off ok. But last week had to replace the coolant system which was about $500. Now THIS week car disengaged from gear while driving (clutch not pushed in) and first mechanic (not dealer) says I need a NEW transmission? It's only got 85K on it and I have never, ever needed a clutch or transmission in an of my manual trans cars. And I drive - often. Now at the dealer but I've now been without a car for almost a week and I'm disillusioned. This is my 2nd Bug, I do love them, but if it's the transmission it was a build issue for sure. Be wary.

Broken Dreams
By ashellris on 03/17/11 18:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When VW re-released the Beetle in '98, I had found my dream car. I was 15 at the time, about to get my license and sent away to VW for an information packet that I used in a presentation for my parents in hopes of receiving one. Needless to say; it didn't happen- Until 2005 when I purchased a used 2002 VW Beetle. I purchased the car for $15k and have since put at least $8k into it (Not including maintenance). The check engine light is always on, and repairs are never ending and expensive. I was able to get almost 400 mi per tank when I bought it; now I get just under 300 mi. This has nothing to do with neglect, this was my dream car. Be prepared for expensive repairs with any VW.

Beetle Turbo
By Turbo Beetle on 06/29/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Third Beetle I've owned, and all have been superb vehicles. All were bought brand new, and kept trading up. Have had this current Silver Turbo model for 8 years and have never had any serious problems with it. It is used over the last 4 years as a daily driver and between its traction in the winter and its speed/pickup in the summer, the vehicle is probably one of the best ones out there for the dollar. Maintenance is done on the vehicle per specs, and outside of a couple of door dings by jerks in parking lots, the car looks and runs as new. Probably the best value for the dollar car we've ever bought and owned.

Stung by the bug
By humbug on 06/09/10 06:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Oh the beetle and its quirky electronic issues. Yes, that is the joy of owning one. You never know what light will come on or when it will just quit-even when it is brand new. An adventure in driving! A leaky sunroof, a dead transmission, faulty cluster gauge, bad starter, vac leak, oxygen sensors out. The list is so long. I grow weary of it all. Suffice to say just don't take the VW trip unless you want to spend $$ and time at the dealership. P. S. They told me not to worry if the check engine light was on-only if it flashed. A great comfort indeed.

If Only I Knew
By LoveHateVW on 05/26/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 99K miles, previous owner took exceptional care of it. As had happened with my previous VW though (2000 Jetta), stuff started going wrong with the car shortly over the 100K mark. While understandable with a high-mileage car, the small things in the design of this vehicle were what surprised me, negatively. Shoddy plastic parts often broke down, such as the hatch release and center console. The sunroof is also a water hazard, but I hear VW has issued a recall on that. Love driving this VW, but hate owning. Water pump, oil pan, timing belt, starter, and window reliability are some things to look out for. Keep this in mind if you are even thinking VW.