Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

More Reliable than my Bmw, Benz, Range Rover
By Cp

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Beetle is so cheap to operate it makes it worth keeping. I was a car dealer that mostly bought high end European vehicles and they all had issues. Ding, and another message would appear with an expensive issue. After leaving the business, I rented a friend's 2002 Beetle GL with 112,700 miles for $150 a month until I financed a Benz or Bimmer, that never happened. I bought it for $1,000, replaced the timing belt and waterpump. $10 gets 100+ miles, oil changes are $22, tires are $53, I now have 160,000 miles. It's so easy to clean, and the yellow paint is bright and holds up well. Interior plastics break, there's rattles, it's slow, but who cares it gets me everywhere and barely costs me a dime. I baby it to death, wax it, only run chevron but no premium gas and I don't use synthetic but will now cause I want to just keep it going.

Old Faithful
By Stephen H.

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

At 243K, still going strong. Needed new transmission at 230K but likely because I overuse the 5th gear at low speed to improve mileage and wore it out. My only complaint is the interior parts. Rear seat fell apart in the first week. Center console fell apart shortly after. Surprisingly rotten and cheap parts on such a worthy vehicle. Diesel needs to be treated with anti-gel for 3 months of Northeast winter and I had a pre-heater installed after the glow-plugs cooked and were too rusted in to replace. This diesel car had real trouble starting below -10F with glow plugs working and below 20F after they died so a heater really protects battery, starter and engine. Check engine light has been on for last 100k miles but that?s just something you deal with in the age of science and technology. That crap never functions right for 1/2 the life of a vehicle. Still my primary commuter as it gets 45 mpg.

this car will bug you
By mtunic

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this car has 60k I has had the water pump go out smog pump out air bag out the only thing not to go out is the check engine light now the transmission 1&2 shift fork is broke plus 3 set of ignition modules. I have never seen such poor excuse for a car ever 6ok and all this vw should be ashamed to sell a car like this the Yugo seems to be a better choice!!!!!!

Bad Bug
By pwlowe61

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I guess the review will not help individuals who have already bought the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The car was a snap orange and have a good overall appearence. This car sat in the shop 19 of the first 24 months of ownership. I couldn't keep the electronics,transmission, turbo and anything else working. The last 2 years and $2300.00 of maintenance cost finally sealed its fate. 1100 for Timing belt change,450 for door latch which shut the car down in the middle of a 4 lane highway. 600 for alternator and whatever else it needed. I would run away from this car and I will never own a VW again. They look good, but are expensive to maintain.

Fun little car with great mpg
By mishka1012

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had this car for couple month now and I drive everywhere on it. Even though mine was rebuilt from the ground up after an accident not shown on carfax and it was rebuilt from junk and old parts and silicone glue it holding up marvelously. I mostly drive everything it got out of this little car and let me say it's not just faster than most four cylinders on the road. It beats some v6's because it's stik and it only got 100hp! But I still manage to get 45 mpg consistently, never got less but once got 55 mpg on biodiesel and light driving style (speed limit and slow acceleration tryoing to stay in 5th gear at all speeds (even 30 mph)+ rolling down the hill). the rest sucks alot.

Mpg, reliability, stick shift, suspension, decent preformance for a 4 cylinder, TDI, verry roomy interior for the front people, looked verry cool on the road. Aero dynamic stays on the ground at 100+mph. Whenever I floor it I get a smoke screen behind me lol. Super cheap to drive literally more than twice the savings comparing to gas cars and supposedly runs verry long miles.

Cheap plasticks break everywhere, sensors go out alot gave up on replacing them. Tdi takes a few minutes to warm up, wrong wheel derive i'd love this car in rear wheel drive. Exterior bumpers rip appart upon lightest impact, have to get driver side mirror helper, big blind spot, suckish stereo.

• SUV