2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: At 168k, here's hoping for 200

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

At 168k, here's hoping for 200k+ miles
By ThunderBunny on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This review is for an '01 1.8T New Beetle (Auto), GLS trim with 17" rims, sports suspension, leather (heated) seating, steering wheel & shifter, and sunroof. At 50k miles, the ECU was chipped to 1 BAR. Now at 168k miles I must say my NB's been an excellent vehicle. The only items fixed under warranty were coil-packs and a MAF sensor. I replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner, 2 Oxygen/1 MAF sensors, valve cover gasket and a few hoses at 154k miles. Otherwise, everything else works! (Knock on wood!) I guess I'm lucky as the NB is not rated highly for reliability. But with my other cars, I do my own maintenance/repair and follow the scheduled maintenance very closely. Hope it'll go beyond 200k miles!

Very nice design work - in and out - by J. Mays. Very roomy for front passengers. Huge dash board. Big cargo area w/rear bench folded down. Peppy turbocharged engine. Loaded to the gills with safety features - front/side airbags, ABS, EBD, ASR and throttle override when depressing the brake pedal.

Better noise insulation (door seals, engine). Lumbar support. More scalable seat heater. Independent rear suspension. And bring a Super New Beetle on the Mk6 platform as well as the Microbus.