Nice looking but at a price
By nohoguy on
2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
Bought the car because I liked the styling, the handling and the turbo engine. These good things about the car are lost in the inconvenience this car has brought me. Since I got this car four years ago, I have had five lightbulbs blow out - two in the headlights, two in the console and one taillight. The armrest has broken twice. Both power windows have malfunctioned. Plastic shielding has fallen out of the moonroof twice, one time falling on my shoulder. Worst of all, my ac failed right in the middle of summer, for my ac problem I went to an ac specialist who tested my ac for $0 while the dealership in Santa Monica wanted to test it for $200. No joke, these cars are very unreliable.
Favorite Features
I love the large speedometer, style all around, handling, space inside, moonroof, and radio (except for am because it doesn't come in half the time).
Suggested Improvements
Improve the reliability. I have been to the dealership three times in one month once, it's very aggrivating. VW dealers are very expensive to service - $200 vs. $0 doesn't make sense. The ride can be harsh, the car feels like it can't make the turn on hard turns, there are vibrations in the car, and it jumps into - the engine is not smooth.