2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Like marriage - it's the littl

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Like marriage - it's the little things
By behamsa on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still love my bug after 8 yrs, but there are definitely some little & not so little design flaws that cause $$ and growls. Frequent headlamp replacements costly. Plastic "butter tub" under front of car gets thrashed regularly due to ridiculous clearance (Replaced several, lost count. Also the oil pan went with it 1 time!) Paint and rubber continues to come off door panels. Anything interior plastic is subject to break/replace over & over. (Window & climate controls, cup holder, gas door cable) And I have replaced so many cheaply glued hub cab emblems that I finally gave up! The devil is in the details on this car. Dealer service is $$$. But all said I still love to drive this baby!

It's so darn cute, I can't stay mad at it! Handles well (except turning radius) and has so much pep w/o being a turbo, I pass others on a grade! Great gas mileage. Impressive climate control (unlike original bugs) Good visibility up front (not so much to back tho!) Seats are still comfortable.

front undercarriage clearance & better protector! headlamp reliability & design not requiring 2 hrs to replace (Seriously!) Sun visors are a joke. Better interior plastic controls. And although we all sound like whiny babies, cup holders are essential to happiness in life...hehe. Bug's = sad.